How come the Windows Disk Defragmenter finishes a defrag in seconds?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ian82, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    This doesn't sound right. PerfectDisk takes like a day to defragment my slow HDD or my USB external 2 TB HDD since they're large but if I defragment them with the built in Disk Defragmenter in Windows it finishes almost in a minute or two

Is it actually doing anything? I hate how they removed the graphical UI so you can't really know what it's doing

I have a PerfectDisk license but I wanted to try not to install it this time as I don't need its optiwrite bulls**t or the auto defragmentation features

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Speculation on my part .. If it's set up on a scheduled defrag and you are choosing to defrag before next scheduled defrag it is seen as done .. A more likely possibility is it defrags as much of the drive as it can and reports that result .. I had one drive do the same thing (not C:\ drive) and my work around was to use auslogics' defragger ..

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    as everybody will tell a different story here, what about doing some experiments. Checking with third-party tools after Windows own defrag has finished.

Next would be to find out if there is any difference in behavior afterwards.

Must commit in first attempts i wasn´t able to actually find any real question in OP, looked more like a mental soliloquy...:hmm:.

OOOPS: forget to mention: come back afterwards and present your findings...:D.

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Untick Minimize Disk Usage and raise the CPU Priority in Perfect Disk settings (Global settings > System Resource Priority ). 1 Day to defrag is too long!

6. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Hi all,

What should I choose to use from PerfectDisk, Diskeeper, and O&O Defrag ??? Thanks for your advices !