How do I activate (kms activated) Windows 8 (into legit copy) using legit wmc key?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lime1911, Sep 30, 2014.

1. lime1911

lime1911 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    So I am building a new pc soon, or more specifically changing my motherboard, video card, case, cpu, re using my ram, psu, hard drive (as storage) and adding a new 512gb ssd as main drive ( :D :D :D ).

I don't really like windows 8 because it feels alien from the windows 7 I have grown so used too, but if I want directx 12 when its released and all that other stuff, I have to use windows 8, and I was the same way about windows 7 when it came out so I guess I just need to give windows 8 a try.

I have known about the early windows 8 activation methods when it was very first released because I had activated a few of my friends windows 8 because they didn't want to spend any money. However it seems a lot of things have changed and a lot of the past methods are no longer viable.

I have done my research so I see there is no best way to activate windows 8 (for free) and it seems kms activation (kmspico, kmsautonet and microsoft tool kit) is the most accepted activation method.

However while browsing for a more "cemented" activation I came across this thread named "Best windows 8.1 activation method" (im not allowed posting links yet :()

At post #10 I see someone says:
    Then at post #12:
    And at post #13:
    Poster #13 just posted a link to post #21 in a thread called "Convert from Windows 8.1 VL to Windows 8.1 Pro to Upgrade to 8.1 w/WMC"

Which says
    I looked more into this, but I either can't wrap my head around what I found and was being discussed or couldn't concrete information.

I don't have a legit WMC key yet, but I don't mind buying one if it is only $10-$20.

So far I have downloaded Murphy78's all in one windows 8 iso with september updates iso from a torrent site, from what I see, it looks like I can install preactivated windows 8.1 PRO w/ WMC.

So what I wanted to do is install windows 8.1, (kms activated or not) and then use a legit WMC key to activate my windows (so I don't have to rely on kmspico). However from what I read it's not that simple, what other steps am I missing and would have to take?

The reason I prefer this over just kms activation is because I would feel a lot better having genuine windows because kms activations can be patched any time, plus the activation has to be renewed so anything can go wrong, I know it will be good for a while but I plan on using my PC for a while lol. I'm a university student so I don't have the money to spare on the full windows 8 license :(, I'm just looking for super bargains on pc parts to upgrade atm lol, only had enough for the ssd so far, I get it tomorrow, so I plan to install windows 8 on the SSD and hopefully get it activated depending on whether or not if I can figure out what to do xD.

I read a lot of stuff about token and other stuff I didn't understand due to me a being a newb in this kind of scene, so I would appreciate any help offered, thanks!

2. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I guess I'll respond.

Before KMS became so popular the usual way was to use KMS activation then purchase a Windows Media Center key in order to legitimatize the OS on the cheap. What happens is that Windows has many editions in which it can be activated under so when you upgrade you get access to as the name suggest Windows Media Center.

Now as for the tokens its a complicated way of saying where the activation is actually located on the system. All the windows licensing stuff is stored there apart from the product key which is located in the registry hive.

Now I have a suggestion for you as your a university student. I would wager a guess that your most likely a computer science student so look to see if your school offers dream spark premium. It is offered by schools usually for free to license a students windows copy.

Wazoo that is not a good answer it is merely the lazy mans way of answering the question.

4. lime1911

lime1911 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    I am going into informatics and security (networking kind of) and am not offered dreamspark premium where I am going unfortunately :( however I do believe I have a activated dream spark account lying around somewhere (but idk if it still works and I don't think its premium either).

And wazoo I just read through that thread and it looks like they were doing what I was trying to do, but I need a bit of clarification (me being newby and what not lol), what version of windows should I be installing first (I have smurfy78's 48 in once preactivated windows 8.1 iso), and where would I get the upgrade key from? Do I need to make generic activation tokens? How do I make those tokens?

5. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Ummm guys I don't think Microsoft is running the cheap WMC upgrade keys anymore.

Try talking to your help desk guys to see if you can run down your account. It does not need to be a premium account as the regular account will offer a Windows 8.1 Key.

6. lime1911

lime1911 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    Got my dreams park account activated and verified again, but I don't see any option for windows 8 :(, only windows server.

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    You're looking for Windows 8.1.

Look around the operating systems page.

8. lime1911

lime1911 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    Says its for dreams park premium only

9. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    #9 Wazoo, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    If a person searches the forum for previous posts with information that may answer the question, reads through the posts, picks the post with the most detail, selects that post and then pastes the link as an answer, then PLEASE brand that person as LAZY.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Agreed. Is your prerogative to guide people on this forum towards the information but is not your duty to explain in depth or make a dissertation every time a person asks for help...

11. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    #11 Wazoo, Sep 30, 2014
  12. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #12 CaptainKirk1966, Sep 30, 2014
    The post you mentioned before seemed a good enough explanation. You need to install from a retail iso in order to install wmc. Installing from vl iso will not work, because the 'add feature' option for wmc be missing. The iso's are slightly different.

13. lime1911

lime1911 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    #13 lime1911, Sep 30, 2014
    (OP)
    Not sure what upu guys are fighting over xD but thank you EVERYONE for your input and help, all really helpful stuff, I think I have an idea of what I'm suppose to do.

So from reading stuff over and over I understand I have to install pro windows 8 retail. Then buy the upgrade to wmc. Let it upgrade then get the tokens?

"0) Disconnect from the Internet
    1) Install Windows 8 Pro using the Windows 8 Pro KMS client setup key (GVLK) ending J8CK4
    2) KMS activate using Microsoft Toolkit
    3) Use the "Add feature" function to upgrade to WMC, using the Pro WMC default key ending QGJXW
    4) Install the KB2871389 update
    5) Connect to the Internet
    6) Visit the Windows Store and start the Windows 8.1 upgrade
    7) Go have a lunch break, watch a movie or take a nap
    8) Once the Windows 8.1 upgrade completes, the procedure is complete"
    Then I take a copy of the those .DAT filles/tokens, but what do I do after that? Do I make a windows 8.1 Pro w/ wmc iso with the tokens? I can't seem to figure what to do exactly after getting the tokens.

Another thing I need clarification on, the guide says this:
    "The tokens contain no personally identifiable information and can in theory be safely shared and reused on any PC."
    and it also says this:
    "[You can not]
    reuse the same WMC upgrade key on several computers and activate online
    If you are reusing a previously activated WMC upgrade key, it can only be reused on the identical computer that it was previously activated on, if you want to activate online."

I will be using it on the same computer, but in a few weeks I will be changing the motherboard, is the activation tied to the motherboard like OEM?

14. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    The Token creation has you going from Windows 8 PRO -to- Windows 8.1 PRO -to- Windows 8.1 PROWMC.
    It would be much easier to install Windows 8.1 PRO with a generic PRO key, add the WMC feature, and activate with MTK
    Then when you have the MoBo changed and have the genuine WMC key you could uninstall MTK and activate with the WMC key.