How do I create XP Home SP3 OEM iso for my Compaq w/ COA sticker?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by doomslayer, Feb 18, 2012.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Funnily enough on my dell vista desktop the it is not OEM:COA but OEM:ACT key and that is vista premium OEM:SLP Key seems to me they are two different things :)

2. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    You are assuming too much.

Last time I pulled a COA key from the case and used it, mgadiag reported that I was in the System Builder license channel, not the oem:slp channel.

I've purchased refurbished computers that had two stickers on the case, one retail and one oem. It can be really confusing. o_O

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    no assuming here; just telling you like it is. my COA is an SLP key, period. pure fact dude.

5. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
  6. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    like i said, mine is for sure an OEM slp key, no assumption made, it's fact.

all i said was it was "my assumption" (previous to now) that all OEM COA keys were this way. nothing implied like you have said. and which was clear that my assumption wasn't correct seeing as many have COA keys that aren't SLP keys in this thread.

you are making an argument at what cause? seems you think i'm arguing against you on a point that was moot from the get go...

7. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time that I misinterpreted something I read in an online message :biggrin:

8. wesrk

wesrk MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2009
    #28 wesrk, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    This was exactly what I was looking for, too bad the XP home ISO is no longer there, I will search and report back here.

Edit. Got a retail XP ISO, then changed it from retail to OEM like Tito said and so far so good!

9. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    #29 drnoellyg, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    I have a question. I am in a very similar position to the OP, I have a Dell COA on the side of a desktop, but I can't seem to find the disc that came with it, so I went ahead and downloaded a retail OEM Home ISO. This is where I get confused though, should I convert that "retail" into an "OEM", and if so, should I just change the PID and add OEM as the last 3 digits? This is what I've read but I haven't done it since someone in this thread mentioned that Microsoft might blacklist COA sticker keys because of the piracy that went on a couple years ago.

I have also downloaded a couple ISOs from "tcntad" massive list. I downloaded an spanish iso and an english iso. I also downloaded a DELL specific one that I checked matches my code given by the OEMBIOS tool, I also downloaded the 4 specific files, compressed version. SO I was about to follow the steps in tcntad's thread but I realized that I do not have an OEM SLP key, so then I went into reading about how to get one.

So then I landed on a sticky thread about how to create PRO OEM SLP cd, unfortunately some files were hosted on MegaUpload so that is a no go anymore.

I then went to a thread titled "VLK and OEMBIOS changer..." Honestly this seemed like it was exactly what I wanted, to change the first ISO I downloaded, the home retail, into an OEM version, but it also talks about the SLP key, which I still don't have, so I got confused and decided to leave that thread alone for a minute.

I've also come across a thread titled "Windows XP Archive (Genuine ISO)" a couple times, but it is no longer supported.

So finally I decided to write here. As you can see I've done "some" reading, but clearly not enough. I now have 4 differente ISOs, one I had previously downloaded which is a retail XP home, one Dell specific one which seems to be XP Pro, a Pro spanish and a Pro english. I am just as confused as I can be. I don't know what to do with the specific Dell files I downloaded, whether I should follow the instructions on one thread with the keys stated there or not, if I should install Pro when I only have the coa for Home, if I should find and OEM ISO and download that one and risk the coa key being blacklisted or having to go through hoops to activate, if I should get an OEM SLP key which I downloaded 4 files to do but have no idea how. lol :D Sorry, it's late and I feel like I am more confused that I was before.

Anyway, if you are still with me after this long rant, just give me some advice or words of encouragement on what to do or how, or at least tell me a joke so I can laugh I will bite the bullet tomorrow and pick one ISO, one set of instructions and go for it and see what happens. By the way, I have a lot of time to get this done so I am not desperate and I'm willing to read and lean if you just point me in the right direction.

Take care guys, I bow to your knowledge :worthy:

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ drnoellyg, if you have downloaded the dell OEM cd then downwnload VLK and OEMBIOS changer upack it you will find slpKeys_XP.txt file in Activation check and Serial tools folder.

11. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Will do, as I say, I have tons of free time here.
    Believe it or not I like being confused as it makes me read more and learn more!

12. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    #32 CaptainKirk1966, Mar 7, 2012
    Hmm, wouldn't he be good to go with a Dell machine and a Dell iso, i.e. the Dell iso already has the correct slp key and oembios files incorporated, and no need for VLK and OEMBIOS changer ?

13. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    @CaptainKirk1966
    The Dell Oem cd seems to be Pro while my COA is for Home, still I am a little afraid that it won't activate being that I will be using just a regular COA sticket key.

14. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    #34 CaptainKirk1966, Mar 7, 2012
    If it were me, I would install Pro and not worry too much about it. If your Home edition iso is non-Dell, then you likely could install and use oembios changer after installation finishes. If home edition is retail, edit setupp.ini to make it accept oem keys.

15. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Ok, so you're saying, were you in my shoes, you would go ahead and install the Dell cd Pro I downloaded from tcntad since it already has the SLP key needed, and there wouldn't be a need to go the VLK OEMBIOS changer route?

16. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    Yep, you should be all set.

17. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    ok, this seemed easier that I could have possibly imagined then.
    Thanks, I will do that.

One final question though, revealing my ignorance here, at which point, will I need to provide my COA sticket key? Regular end of install time or… when?

18. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    #38 CaptainKirk1966, Mar 7, 2012
    You will never need it.

19. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Ok then, this has been way beyond helpful. I will report back with results later today.

20. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009