How Do I delete system restore files ? (not as straight forward as it appears)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by wealstarrr, Aug 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wealstarrr

wealstarrr MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2017
    Hello,

So I ran Smart Defrag 5 to optimize my non-system partitions. It wiped off 40 GB's of space on one of my partitions. Other one's intact. I checked and discovered that the space was used by system restore files in the "system Volume Information" folder. I don't have system restore on my PC and Volume Shadow Service is turned off. Also, it's a fresh system. When I tried to delete the said files, cmd returned that the files are out my usage context.

So I went on to take the permissions for the folder to be able to delete files but icacls and take down return "Access is Denied" on these files only. As a last resort I used a live CD to delete the files but it still the same response "Access is Denied" I even used Icalcls from the live CD but it didn't get me nowhere.
    takeown /f "D:\System Volume Information" /a /r /d y "Access is denied"
    icacls "D:\System Volume Information" /e /t /c /g administrators:F "Access is denied"

Is there anyway left to delete these files without diskpart ? and what if diskpart clean all also gives me errors ?

Any Ideas ?

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi do you already try install Takeownership first dude?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...