How do I edit an .iso to contain performed tweaks at fresh install?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by misterkrizz, Aug 14, 2019.

1. misterkrizz

misterkrizz MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2019
    Hi, guys!

I have a questions about how to "inject" or add some tweaks into an .iso file of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB/LTSC.
    What I want to do is have certain things turned off and changed from the regular default way to how I want them as soon as the installation procdure is finished (from a bootable USB) on any given machine.

For instance: I would like for indexing to be OFF, performance power settings to be at maximum, and for some stuff from WinAero Tweaker to be set within the .iso file that is mounted as a bootable USB drive.

How would I go about doing this?

PS: I have a batch script file that I use to tweak a lot of stuff once installing the OS, which is convenient, but I need more because I always spend a few hours doing all of the other tweaks when I install a system on a fresh machine. Is it possible that I should add all my stuff in there? If so, how?

Thanks!!

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    My honest opinion? If you have to ask how to do it (probably not even googled for info), then on what grounds do you know what to tweak?

Maybe you could use the MRP project, you can select all tweaks up front and when windows is installing, they will be applied.

3. PsychedelicShaman

PsychedelicShaman MDL Member

Dec 4, 2017
    To change power settings you have to write a SetupComplete.cmd script and place it in the "\Windows\Setup\Scripts" path of the mounted install.wim image:

Disable Hibernation:
    Code:
    powercfg /hibernate off
    Set Ultimate Performance Power Plan:
    Code:
    powercfg /setactive e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61
    Disable User Password Expiration:
    Code:
    net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited
    Then you can use a registry monitoring software, something like RegFromApp (freeware) from NirSoft - use it to capture registry changes WinAero Tweaker does, then mount offline registry hives of your install.wim file to integrate those reg tweaks to an offline image. :)

4. misterkrizz

misterkrizz MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2019
    #4 misterkrizz, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    (OP)

Hello.
    Well, I'll start by answering your question. I really like working with computers as a hobby, even though my main line of work is completely different. I have since I was a kid. I like to help out friends and family and their friends families by optimizing and tweaking their computers to the maximum (or minimum) of their needs. That way, their older hardware can run everything that they need (up to date) whilst saving them money and getting their stuff done. Also, I get the odd job or two to set up a gaming rig.

Now, I read a lot of stuff about computers, watch a lot of videos, and talk to a lot of people. I use google, of course, and DuckDuckGo, and even sometimes Bing (since you can still save pictures in high quality straight off their image search), but that's a whole 'nother story.

I use Windows 10 LTSB 2016 for almost every computer that I come across except for some really old PC's or some newer ones (especially with newer graphics cards), for which I'll install POSReady 2009 or LTSC 2019, latter and former respectively. After installation, I manually turn off crap that isn't needed, and simplify the computing experience. Most of the people I help need their PC to be as clean, reliable, and simple as possible. Others need to maximize performance and thoroughly free up as many resources as possible.
    These tweaks take hours sometimes, depending on a bunch of variables, but nonetheless, a long time.
    I've come across some batch files and PowerShell scripts from a variety of source online and in real life. I have an arsenal of tools that I use to get the job done, and while some stuff has been greatly simplified in the process, I find that I still end up taking a lot of time to tweak a bunch of stuff manually. Might I add, that I get a good amount of PC's and laptops to "refurbish" in any give week.

Hence, my question as to how I would go about adding these [manual] tweaks to a ready-made .iso or to a batch file that I could edit. I may have left out that I don't know how to code, make batch files, powershell scripts, and the like, although I want to learn. I would consider myself a power user, at best.
    If MDL isn't the place to ask for help in a conversation-like style, then where should i go? What is, then, the point of online communities, when the old-timers of said communities are on your ass about asking the worldwide mega-popular automatic search function? In essence, your question is an inverse of itself. I do, in fact, know what I want to tweak, and therefore, need a more efficient way of doing it. Not the other way around. That is why I am asking for help from the community.

Thanks for the MRP Project link.

5. loveleeyoungae

loveleeyoungae MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2011
    Have you found your solution? I once try doing these ISO customizations with Windows 7, and I remember there was some method. However, I've tried researching again and have not found any specific detailed tutorial, but some info:
    - search for "windows 10 $oem$ folder": putting files in this special folder would allow your files to be put in specific location, so you can put a bat file that run once to apply tweaks and install application, and finally will delete itself.
    - search for "startnet.cmd": don't know if tweaks ran by this cmd file would apply to the installation?!
    - search for "setupcomplete.cmd": there's a MS knowledge base article about this, but it seems that the file only works on a sysprep'ed image?!

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Most of this stuff you can do with a setupcomplete.cmd script stuffed in an $oem$ folder on the iso.
    You would figure out what reg keys or cmd prompt programs to run and stuff them in that script.