How do I find the KMS server my school uses to activate?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by djjonastybe, Sep 19, 2012.

1. djjonastybe

djjonastybe MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2009
    How do I find the KMS server my school uses to activate?

2. inzane

inzane MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    Look at your student portal or ask the guys in the IT department or classes.

3. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Ask your administration or IT department.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eydee

eydee Guest

A KMS server is supposed to "advertise" itself on the network. When I installed Windows 7 Enterprise demo on my computer and entered the GVL key (just to try if it accepts it), the system automatically found the KMS host and activated itself without a question. Actually it was quite annoying as I didn't intend to use it. I am on a school network as well, but I have no rights to use the KMS server.

If your system cannot find the KMS host on the internal network by itself, it's possible that it doesn't support Windows 8 yet.

But if you still want to try, a google search with the school name and the word kms should show something. Usually people talk about it and solve issues on mailing lists, which then get indexed by google.

5. djjonastybe

djjonastybe MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2009
    I found it in regedit...

I tried it but I think I need to attach my computer with a ethernet cable to their network to activate. Activating over wifi doesn't seem to work.

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    slmgr -dlv will list the KMS server, if one is in use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. meShell

meShell MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2009
    #7 meShell, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That list's the KMS Server which were used to activate that Windows version only, NOT the running KMS Server on the network connected!

9. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    #9 TCM, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    nslookup doesn't append the domain name automatically so you're asking your name server to ask the root servers for records they can't know. The command to enter would be
    Code:
    nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp.<local domain name>