How do I fix bent pins on motherboard?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by MarkJohnson, Feb 18, 2013.

1. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH and I swapped out the CPU and seem to have bent some pins. They are super tiny and I can barely even see them.

Is there a way I can fix them?

Or will the manufacturer do it?

Or am I SOL and there is no repair possible?

-=Mark=-

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    If you find somebody who can do this please for the love of god let me know....I bought a mobo and was burnt bad. The things have been flattened.....

Good luck and dont forget me....

3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Thats great info redroad.

Trouble is, if I can't hit it ith a big hammer I can't fix it.

Delicate is not what I do !!!

5. =)(=

=)(= Guest

#5 =)(=, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
    I had a few bent pins 2 years ago on a X58 (LGA 1366) board and there was no problem to fix them.

But.. on socket 1155 it is not so easy to fix bent pins because they are much more sensitive. I had a ASUS Z77 board with bent pins and I tried to fix them but they broke off completely and I had to throw the board away. So, good luck :)

6. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I had this problem 2 years ago and used magnifying glass, twizzers and help from another person with magnifying glass to check. Slow process but only way. Good luck!

7. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #8 RJARRRPCGP, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    They look just like the 775 pins to me. Starting with 775, they can be a pain! :mad:

My motherboard upgrade of January, 2013 was an epic fail and it looks like it was messed up pins out-of-the-box!

It appears that it was nothing to do with my processor mounting.
    I got it in the right direction the first time. Made sure that I lined up with the notches.

At least I wouldn't have such trouble with socket 478! ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
  9. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    That would be LGA1155, much more delicate contact pins... Can you send me a high resolution image please?

And yes I've done this quite a few times.

10. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I will take a few pics ASAP.

11. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Wow, that's actually quite serious. Are you 100% sure there are no missing contact pins?

From seeing that picture I'd say sell it as spares on eBay or Gumtree, due to the extent of damage you would more than likely need new contact pins, this is achieved through surface mount soldering.

Let me elaborate, now the pins are bent they have already lost a lot of strength and the material they're made of is designed to flex but not bend, if a contact pin is too mangled it will probably snap when re-positioned.

Now let me ask you, do you seriously want me to attempt repair. Attempt being the word here. Because if a contact pin, or two, or three snap, you'll need new ones re-soldered.

12. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Well I recon the best thing for this board is just to sit on my shelf and remind me of what not to buy and how stupid I can be.....
    I was burnt bad and i will not let that happen again.

Thanks for the help but this board is behond help..

:cool:

13. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    What happened? Broken pins out-of-the-box? IIRC, I had a broken pin on mine in January.
    Had to RMA for that!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I bought the Asus Sabertooth P67 off ebay. I had no other LGA 1155 bits so I could not test the thing. It was advertised as working.
    never took much notice of the board and its pins.
    I finally got some bits together. Tested it only to find I could not get it to work.
    By this time I had two LGA 1155 boards,two CPU's and two lots of RAM..

I tried everything I knew then finally realised the pins were flattened...I had a right do with ebay. Got nowhere with the guy who sold me it. Too much time had passed and I was out of pocket to the tune of £100...

I bought my self a brand new Sabertooth Z77 in the end....

15. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I finally fixed it. I bought a x3 magnifying clamp-on table magnifying lens with a T5 circular bulb from officemax for $50. I wanted the x5, but it was over a $100.

I found most of a set of Craftsman jewelers screwdrivers I forgot I bought a few years back. I found a 1/32" flat blade that worked perfectly.

At first it looked like there were quite a few bent pins, but t turned out to be only 3 bent pins. They were just tangled up in other pins and once the 3 pins were relatively straight the rest fell back in place. I stuck my i3-1230 in the socket and it fired up first try!

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
    -=Mark=-

16. laptop servis

laptop servis MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2013
    you can change entire socket but i think it is too expencive but also you can do it manually with some sharp twizers

17. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Good to know :)