How do I get rid of this virus?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by QueenDani, Apr 8, 2010.

1. QueenDani

QueenDani MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2010
    Hi, I have a virus on my computer. I'm not quite sure what it is but I think it's either Antivirus 2009 or 2008 and frankly I don't care. I just want it gone. I already have Symantec installed but it must've not caught it. I've heard about Avast & Hitman but I'm afraid to download either one because I don't like downloading every little thing unless I'm sure it works.

The redirecting happens on every browser I have. [Safari, IE, Firefox [and I'm not sure but I think Opera too.}]

I've also tried "Click Start --> Right click on My Computer --> Click Manage --> Click on Device Manager on the left panel --> Under View menu, click on Show hidden devices, you will see a bunch of Non-plug and play drivers appear --> scroll down to find TDSSserv.sys --> Right click on it and Disable" but I don't see a TDSSserv.sys.

I don't know what to do! Please! Please, help me.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Welcome,
    You can install the powerful Kaspersky Internet Security 2010,
    you can easily find a batch of updated key files from the Internet (but some of them are blacklisted).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    If you have spent many hours trying to figure out, you could have spent lesser on reinstall. I found KIS to very good but also very intrusive. Infact I have a purchased licence that expires in Oct 2010 for 3 PCs. Have not used it for 4 mths. I can mail the key for free (only one member) to anyone interested. That should work till Oct 2010. Of course, there are keys updated everyday on some sites. They are batch files, and from hearsay, I know that some or all work. Just a trial and error.

5. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    malwarebytes+mse+windows firewall= no problems. no viruses

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Malwarebytes is good but it has twice displayed hijack.display properties or some sort of virus. However, after browsing thru this forum, I found out that perhaps it is not to be concerned about.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    What works (in most cases) for me...
    1) Uninstall any AV programs you have.
    2) Boot in safe mode with networking (tap F8 during startup).
    3) Download, install, update and run MalwareBytes full scan while in safe mode.
    4) Reboot normally and run CCleaner to remove junk files and fix registry errors.
    5) Download SuperAntiSpyware, update and run.
    6) Run Msconfig to remove un-needed startup items and services.
    7) Reboot, run MalwareBytes and CCleaner again.
    8) Download Norton Internet Security 2010 (30 day free trial) and run full scan.

Once completed- bring up the task manager and make sure you can account for every service that's running then run msconfig again- hit the Services tab (check the "hide all services from Microsoft" option) and make sure there's nothing running that you can't account for. Do the same for the "Startup" tab.... just remove anything that you can't account for or don't need. If you find a service that you are suspicious about- Google the service name.

Lastly, run Winpatrol to keep new programs from adding themselves to your system.

PS- all above mentioned software titles are freeware or fully functional trial versions :D.

9. skylark

skylark MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2009