How do i know if bad ram or bad hdd

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by carmz, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi, Can i ask some help...i am installing my new os windows 8 but it would not continue, after pressing F8 then the windows 8 logo show after that, my monitor turns to blue...i did this for 3 times still same.how do i know if my Ram is bad or my HDD fails...i have not yet installed my O.S.

Thank you in advance.

2. l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t MDL Addicted

Dec 6, 2012
    Pressing F8 with no OS installed won't do anything.
    Is this a new build?
    What are you using to install Windows 8?
    If it's new build, chances are that the DOA is RAM and not HDD. But I'm not convinced it's either..

3. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011

Okay here is the scenario,first i have windows 7 installed in my p.c i used it almost 2-3 years....then i change it to windows 8,first i have installed succesfully the windows 8.then after that i installed the MS Office...that's the only software i installed...after that i remove the password for the autologin by using the netplwiz..when my pc restarted it prompt that "bad config etc.." i could not remember anymore the error...then i reformat again my P.C after partition the HDD, then the windows 8 begun extracting the files up to 100% then it move to installing the "features" after that...it goes to blues screen it did not restarted. as normal installation.

Thank you in advance.

4. l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t MDL Addicted

Dec 6, 2012
    Where did you get this copy of Win8?
    I'd suggesting running diskpart + clean and then trying again. Partition problems and/or mbr/gpt issues can definitely wreak havoc.
    Follow these instructions to wipe HDD clean:

5. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi Thank you,,okay i will let you know the result.

6. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I could not boot the windows it will only show the loading icon and the logo of windows 8...i heard sound ticking!..i don't know the sound came from,looks like in heatsink or in my CPU.... Does my CPU is bad ? or my Ram? Thank you in advance.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ carmz, will you Stop opening different threads you already have one in the windows 8 section and i replied there advising regarding hirens boot cd or Ultimate Boot CD boot from one of them and run one of the hard drive diagnostic programs.

Then you open other thread with information