how do i lower myself to standard user?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mamamia88, Dec 27, 2009.

1. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    i want to make myself a non admin for security reasons but the option is greyed out in control panel does anyone know why this may be?

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You need to login as administrator & only THEN change your account

sebus

3. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    i have an admin account am i not logged in as administrator?

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    No - you are not THE Administrator. There are several ways to activate the Administrator account - read up on it and you'll learn some valuable info - it's all here on these forums.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    i am not sure i understand this. in linux there are user accounts and a root account that allows access to the entire system. what i want is something similar on windows. i don't want anything making changes to my system without my permission. does anyone know of a way to do this without creating a second account and making my account a standard account?

6. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    you already know what you need to do. Create a second account and place it in the user group, or enable the administrator account and remove admin rights from your existing account.

FYI, enable the administrator like this

Net user administrator /active:yes

Then you should be able to login with a blank password.

7. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    ok i changed my user name to admin and created a new standard user with my old username. will logging in to this user make me more safe?

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Safe from what?

Are you in the constant state of paranoia?

Do you have administrator account disabled?
    Do you have real strong password on administrator equivalent account?

Do you have firewall eanbled?
    Do you have good AV running?

To be real safe, never plug network cable into your PC, this way you have no internet access and that makes it nice & comfy. Also under no circumstances do not stick any USB into your machine, that also keeps you safe...

sebus

9. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    lol guess i've just been hanging on ubuntuforums too much making me paranoid to use windows because there are lots of windows bashers on there

10. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Mama mia ragazzo!:eek:

Why so much fear, W7 is not a monster that will eat you, that is Ubuntu's deceiving propaganda.:p

Don't allow them to brainwashing you!!!:D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    i know guess i'm just a little paranoid need to get over it windows 7 seems really good.

12. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    It's actually a very good idea to run your computer with limited right's just gets to be a pain in the ass if you add and remove programs all the time will also stop other people that you know from putting crap on your computer. Most secrity sites recomend running your computer this way no matter what security software you are useing

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Good in theory, but in prctise if it yet not there

Example:
    Install a program (standard user can not, so you are asked for administrator user credentials)
    Then the program (usually badly designed) installs all the shortcuts to this administrator user space. It might even install some crucial data into that user space.
    You of course as a standard user can not access this space so the log off is required to just move the shortcuts etc

Total nightmare! & all for a simple action of an installation

sebus

14. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Just stick with the standard Administrator account. For most users this is more than sufficient. You will have control of your system without making things tricky and besides if you want to delve deeper into windows 7 then its easy enough to take ownership of various files and folders. As Sebus stated good AV and Firewall will see you right. Dont let the ubuntu crowd fool you, i have a brother who is a linux disciple and he does nothing but criticise windows, yet even he is now dual booting win7 and ubuntu. :D ;)