how do I reset the 120 day limit on Terminal Server Licensing (win server 2012)

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by amartin99, Jul 24, 2013.

1. amartin99

amartin99 MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2013
    hello
    I have a server with the 120 trial about to run out 4 days left
    how do I reset that thing to go for another 120 days ?

2. fernando_ccs

fernando_ccs MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2013
    #4 fernando_ccs, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    I researched this for months, and finally I have a solution:

Use Windows Server 2012 Retail version NOT the Volume License (VL) one.
    Does not matter if is Standard, Datacenter or whatever.

What really matters is the Windows PID. The Windows PID feeds the Terminal Services License ID.

ALL the VL editions of Server 2012 have the same PID. Result: ERROR 800 when generating the CALs.

Based on that, to have a fully working Remote Desktop Services in Server 2012 do the following:

1) Install Windows Server 2012 non-VL version.
    You can use the MSDN version: en_windows_server_2012_x64_dvd_915478.iso. The non-VL version asks for a Serial Number. Search the web for your desired edition.

** AFTER INSTALLATION DO NOT ACTIVATE YET**

2) Install the Remote Desktop Services role with “Session Host” and “Licensing” role services. Reboot the server.

3) Open “Remote Desktop Licensing Manager”, right click on your server, click “Activate Server”. Use “Automatic Connection” and fill the required fields.
    Start the license installer. On “License Program” choose “Select License”. Use the Agreement Number 6565792. “License type” and “Quantity” is on your choice.

4) Open “Local Group Policy Editor” (gpedit.msc) and go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Licensing.

In “Use the specified Remote Desktop license server”, enable it and set “127.0.0.1” in options. Click OK.

In “Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode”, enable it (if not) and set “Per device” or “Per user”, based on license type set in Step 3. Click OK.

5) Activate Windows with Microsoft Toolkit.

All done. Have fun.

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Doesn't: slmgr -rearm work in CMD ? then reboot ?

4. ssaeth

ssaeth MDL Member

Jul 16, 2009
    thanks works good with windows 2012 std :)

5. ntman65

ntman65 MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2013
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for this post, you may have just saved me my job. A fired employee lost/stole all the information for the licenses my company purchased and while in the process of getting all the paper work straightened out our TS was 5 hours away from the end of our grace period. Thanks to your post I was able to activate our 2008 Enterprise TS and install all of our TSCals.!! Thanks.[/FONT]

6. empireum

empireum MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2013
    slmgr -rearm can reset the trial period

7. s.avlz

s.avlz MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    Hi,

I know that is a old topic, but I need help, I have a Windows Server 2012, Im early of the grace period, I want know what solutions really works? I can't reinstall WS2012 NVL version, this is the production server :(:(

8. amartin99

amartin99 MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2013
    I did find a way to input a shared license and for a while it seemed to work fantastic
    then MS seemed to be attacking it
    hit 10-12 of my servers inside of a week
    then they stopped
    not sure what was going on there

to be honest iv gotten into the habit of just re installing the server when the time runs out