How do I reset the BIOS password?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by MarkJohnson, Jul 7, 2015.

1. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I am working on a friends Dell Insiron 1545 laptop and at boot it asks for a admin/system operator password. I have the password, but how do I reset it to not ask for a password?

Do I need to reset the system or operator password? It doesn't say which.

Thanks for any help
    -=Mark=-

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Press F2 at boot up to enter the BIOS. Go to the Security section and expand it. Select the Admin password section. It will show the current status as 'set' and three fields:

Current password (type in current password)
    New password (leave blank)
    Reenter new password (leave blank)

Select okay/enter - you should see the Current status change to 'not set'.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you don't have an BIOS Password an hand and one is installed and activated, only way is to Reset the CMOS (Clear CMOS). Normally you may have to open the PC Case and look for to related Jumper on Mainboard. Check the Manual of your Mainboard for correct infos.

If it's an Laptop, that could be some trouble! Even there exist some Laptops which didn't have any way to reset the BIOS. You could check if the Mainboard of your Laptop has an CMOS Battery attached. For to do that you must have a bit technical knowledge about Laptop Electronics etc. or go to the next Service Center.

For both Desktop and Laptop, if the Mainboard has an CMOS Battery attached, the way would be:
    1. disconnect the power from Computer, on Laptop take out the Battery
    2. remove the CMOS Battery
    3. short the Battery Power Connector on Mainboard for about 3sec
    4. place the Battery back on Mainboard
    5. connect Power/Battery
    6. Start computer
    7. Go into BIOS and reset Date/Time and other Settings.

Caution: If you had used AHCI for SATA, you MUST enable AHCI before you could start Windows, Windows will not work if AHCI isn't enabled (only in case AHCI was already used with the old BIOS Settings).

For Laptops which didn't have an CMOS Battery, you may need to contact the Manufacturer for to get the RESET Password for the BIOS. Be aware, not all Manufacturer using that way!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...