how do i upgrade to 7 professional from vista home premium

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ciucca, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ciucca

ciucca MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
    On my sons computer I want to upgrade from vista home premium to 7 professional. I made a disk with the egi.cfg file deleted. Can I now choose the upgrade option and will it upgrade ok? Should I uprade to 7 home premium and then upgrade from that to professional?

Please do not tell me to go to ultimate and put in a loader. I have a legitimate win 7 professional key, and I do not wish to have to worry about the loader being disabled. A clean install is not an option due to the amount of stuff on his desktop.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. mpegdecoder

mpegdecoder MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
    1. The file need to be delete on the DVD is sources\ei.cfg instead of egi.cfg
    2. Vista HB/HP cannot perform UPGRADE to W7 Professional(the upgrade installation will stop at the beginning with warning notice).

Non official solution(I TESTED):
    1. Vista HB/HP UPGRADE to W7 HB/HP without entering any product key.
    2. After upgrade installation, logon W7 & perform "Windows Anytime Upgrade" with W7 Professional legal product key(eg, OEMSLP)
    3. After WAU completed, change back to your legitimate w7 professional product key.

Change W7 product key:
    1. Run as administrator to execute command prompt
    2. In command prompt execute: slmgr.vbs -ipk your_legitimate_w7_key
    ** if your legitimate w7 key is a W7 upgrade version, the key may fault to Activate, then, insert the DVD & perform W7 Professional UPGRADE again with entering your legitimate w7 upgrade product key. That's will work!!

**MAKE YOUR SYSTEM BACKUP BEFORE UPGRADE!!
    **VISTA UPGRADE TO W7 TAKE A HUGE AMOUNT OF TIME, KEEP PATIENT!!

3. ciucca

ciucca MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
    thanks mpegdecoder. Could I just use the professional key for the WAU? The key is not an upgrade key. It is a full version key.

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

I think there is a key in the registry you have to change to lie to the install program. I don't think you can go from Premium to Pro unless you use a workaround.

If it works great, if it doesn't then you need to find out what keys to modify to make the install think it is upgrading from vista business.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mpegdecoder

mpegdecoder MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
    YES, you can use the RETAIL key to perform WAU(I TESTED)
    The W7 WAU accept OEMSLP or RETAIL key.

**W7 WAU take around 10 minutes to complete.

6. daraj

daraj MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I have a full version of ultimate, my question is can I use this version to do upgrade or since its a full version i can only do a clean install ?

7. Ruley

Ruley MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    You can use a full version to upgrade.