How do OEMs like Dell license their machines - all about asset tags

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Yen, Nov 10, 2008.

1. letsgoawayhell

letsgoawayhell MDL Senior Member

Apr 16, 2010
    can someone tell me what is the latest version of "svctag.exe"?
    I already have 3.4, I wanna know if there is a newer version around?
    I am NOT sure but I think I saw a newer version somewhere but I cannot find it. :(

2. scrudgi

scrudgi MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2011
    N5010 it realy works!!!:p

3. Danmyd

Danmyd MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    Dell N5030 with locked Slic 2.1 in Bios A02. DellBIOSReset CD works, perfectly. Activated Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.
    Do as follows:
    0. Load BIOS Defaults. No USB devices.
    1. Boot from Dell BIOSReset CD.
    2. Change Service Tag with the same (yours).
    3. Change Asset Tag with PASS:12/31
    4. Turn off. Reboot. Check with SlicToolkit. Dump OK!
    MyDigitalLife is great forum.

4. KarbonKopy

KarbonKopy MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    Hey ShriEkeR,

I have a PowerEdge R310 as well, and I was trying to use the dell-svc-tag.iso but it claims the system doesn't support it. What CD or method did you use to get it to work? I have a Dell OEM Server 08 R2 disc and it won't activate...

*EDIT*

OK odd....I rebooted to try a different method and it was all of a sudden in Manf Mode. No idea what I did differently...but ill take it. OS activated.

How are you guys changing your service tag with the DellBIOReset.iso? I can only seem to change the asset tag.

5. halaween

halaween MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Anybody can help with latitude E6410? i tried every method here with no luck.

Thank you in advanced

6. krrdummy

krrdummy MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2011
    Hi,

I have exactly same laptop. I set asset tag with PASS:12/31 and used Dell OEM version of win 7 (Enterprise OEM slipstreamed with ulitimate). It does not work still. Windows says 3 days before auto activation. If link is clicked, it says not a valid prd key.

Any clue? Also, is there a space between PASS: and 12/31?

regards

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #187 sebus, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. krrdummy

krrdummy MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2011
    #188 krrdummy, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    ah!

slic toolkit is showing
    Pubkey!=Marker
    and
    Digital Signature Error!
    Slic Status: Invalidated

Cert has some path c:\windows.....\..\, but says cert error

How do I fix this? I am new to this bios/slic stuff..,

Enterprise OEM slipstreamed with ulitimate -> It is actually Win 7 enterprise version by dell which preactivates when installed, but has been slipstreamed using win 7 ultimate. So you get Win 7 Ultimate when installed.

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And why not to just install Ultimate, SLP OEM key, certificate

What you have is some Frankenduild I think. Also Enterprise NEVER preactivates (unless you have Dell OEL SLP key for Enterprise, you would be first then!)

You do not have full slic

I would suggest tring the iso boot & re-doning the procedure again

sebus

10. krrdummy

krrdummy MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2011
    Thanks for the reply.
    How Do I install SLP OEM key, certificate? Where do I get them? Also what do you mean by not having full slic? Thanks for the patience, I am not familiar with the slic thing.

BTW, I guess the version I used is Win7 Premium slipstreamed with Ultimate, not enterprise.

11. krrdummy

krrdummy MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2011

The above from Danmyd: *DOES WORK* like *CHARM*.

The mistake I did: Step 3. Says: Change service tag with the same. So I thought it is just sufficient to change asset tag. This time though, after trying in vain a series of keys/certificates etc - just short of modding my perfectly ok bios, I tried the above procedure exactly as described, CHANGE the SERVICE TAG, but enter the original value. Then change the asset tag.

Thanks Danmyd, I have Win 7 Ultimate activated. MDL is great!

12. pix

pix MDL Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I think that on laptops that need the service tag changing, it's unnecessary to change the asset tag too - changing the service tag resets the limitation flags in the bios by itself. This info is only from web research not first hand experience though.

13. Boost

Boost MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2009
    Tried today on my new Dell Vostro V130 with Dell Portables EEPROM Erase D-Family v4.5 - works like a charm.
    Previous asset tag was 90NM3N1, no SLIC 2.1 in ACPI tables. Set to G4K4QP1 - everything works with unlocked SLIC 2.1 table.

Just don't forget to disable maintance mode by pressing Fn+X at BIOS startup window, or your build-in fans will blow always at maximum speed.

14. pantosije

pantosije MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2009
    Can confirm, works with n5110

15. mudy75

mudy75 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I'd be grateful if you can give me exact steps. My n5110 (core i5, nvidia 525m - BIOS A02 and havent updated to A05 yet) is giving me some good headache. I've followed the steps and tried with both DellBiosReset CD for nseries, and plain DellBiosReset CD.

Service Tag and asset tag changes successfully, but system does not enter maintenance mode after reboot. Slictoolkit does not show slic table either.

What I am doing wrong? I'd appreciate any help, meanwhile I am trying different combinations and if it works I'll update.

Thanks in advance for help.
    -----------------------------------------
    FIXED:

1. Update to Bios A05 -- The thing won't work on Bios A02.
    2. Follow steps mentioned earlier by others (reset to defaults, use DellBiosReset CD for nSeries, use asset tag PASS:12/31).

It should give you a slick SLIC 2.1 :)

Note: *** System won't enter maintenance mode. Just follow these steps, and use slic tookit to check. **

16. pantosije

pantosije MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2009
    Done it few weeks ago. Think that i downloaded some iso with dell tools and done asset command. Will try to find it again.

17. wiresfired

wiresfired MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    hello , maybe somebody can help me .

i have a hp p6213w desktop that required motherboard swap , got identical motherboard , and ofcourse code purple
    i`ve searche endlessly for tattoo software , ended up with cpc_dmi from spring 08 , problem is , when i type the featurebyte , it tells me not recognized , mke sure i have the latest dmi.lib file .

so , does anyone have or know where to get an updated version (i have sp37209 from this thread, booted from usb in dos, this is a win 7 pc , and has a 44 character featurebyte)

thanks in advance

18. gigiqwert

gigiqwert MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2011
    Optiplex 990

I tried to use the asset PASS:12/31 and asset PASS:12/34 but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? For Optiplex 780 it worked.
    I also used the cctk (Dell Client Configuration toolkit to change the asset but it doesn't work).

19. om617

om617 MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2010
    Inspiron N5010

Only needed SVCTAG.exe under FreeDOS to reenter the Service Tag, and clear the SLIC mask. (No need for the asset tag trickery)
    Nice!

20. hirandyume

hirandyume MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    I can confirm that ASSET PASS:12/31 does NOT work with an Optiplex 790 or a 990. It may have to do with these being UEFIs and not BIOSes.

Anyone have the replacement utilities for these yet? Should be called smmfgcfg32.exe or smmfgcfg64.exe.