How Do You Activate Legal Windows 8 with no disc??

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pennsylvaniaron, Jan 20, 2013.

1. pennsylvaniaron

pennsylvaniaron MDL Member

Dec 4, 2009
    I started this thread because of the confusion (at least mine) of Windows 8 activation. I have a repair business where I'm sure starting this year I will start to see Windows 8 machines coming in for repair. From past experience with win XP/VISTA/7 clients typically do not have a windows OS disc mainly because Windows is usually pre-installed. Sometimes the client might have a re-installation disc with windows on it. We never use that because of all the bloatware.

Since there are no real secure methods of activating Windows 8 right now how would I go about activating it on client machines after I do a new install? I assume most machines will have the core or professional versions pre-installed, correct?
    If so can I use the rtm and professional versions found on MDL, do the install and somehow use the COA code that will be on their computer case? Regards...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    As far as I know there is no OEM:COA key now key is embedded in bios. From what I've read you can extract key with RW-Everything and use MSDN RTM dvd. You may not use recovery cd/dvd's but if there is a recovery partition or recovery cd/dvd's I would use it lets face it you are only there to get their machine back up and running. Yes for friends e.c.t I have done clean installation without the bloatware but if you are running a business far quicker with factory recovery :biggrin:

3. pennsylvaniaron

Dec 4, 2009
    Ok I did not know that Microsoft has stopped putting the OEM:COA key on stickers for Windows 8. I have run RW-EVERYTHING from within the OS but how do you run it from a bootable disc? Are there any other tools for getting the S/N from within the bios? Will the slic 3.2 tool work from a bootable? Regards...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That applies for Manufacturer installed Windows 8 like HP, Acer and other. In those "open" OEM Windows 8 packages, sold in Thailand, there's an COA and Product Key inluded. The packing of that OEM Version differs from MS Windows 8 Boxes, they use that simple carton Envelopes as for the old OEM packages. NO Warranty or Service from Microsoft, except Activation.

6. pennsylvaniaron

Dec 4, 2009