How do you make Powershell work like CMD ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nuhkka, Jun 18, 2018.

1. nuhkka

nuhkka MDL Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Back before one of these updates on Win 10 I could shift+right click open CMD here, then just type in commands for command based programs like ffmpeg and youtube-dl. Now when you shift + right click it opens up Powershell and all the old commands I used don't work anymore. Why did MS do this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Razorsharp1

Razorsharp1 MDL Expert

Aug 3, 2013
    #2 Razorsharp1, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018

@nuhkka

You can always get the Command Prompt back, just go to Settings>Personalization>Taskbar then go down to where it says Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu etc.etc. and turn that feature OFF.

Now you can right click on the Start button and you will have the Command Prompt & Command Prompt (Admin) back.

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You can always type cmd at the powershell prompt.
    When I install the OS, I add this to the registry:
    Code:
     REM ===== Replace PowerShell with Command Prompt on Windows+X ===========================================================================================================
         Reg Add "HKEY_USERS\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "DontUsePowerShellOnWinx" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nuhkka

nuhkka MDL Member

Aug 7, 2009
    This doesn't really solve the problem. I usually right click on a folder so I don't have to 'cd' on the command prompt.

This what I needed. Typing in cmd into PS changes it to a command prompt and all the applications actually work now.

5. tavrez

tavrez MDL Senior Member

Sep 28, 2015
    You can go into the folder you want, then click on address bar and type cmd and hit enter, it will open a cmd on the directory you are in.

You can also change right click menu and replace it's powershell with CMD, search for it in net you'll find it, in case you didn't, I'll write it here(little complicated and I'm lazy to do it right now :D )

6. yhnmj6666

yhnmj6666 MDL Novice

May 14, 2017
    #6 yhnmj6666, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2018
    I just add this to registry:
    ============SAVE FOLLOWING TEXT AS CMD.REG AND RUN================
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmdAltr]
    @="Command Prompt"
    "Extended"=""
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmdAltr\command]
    @="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""

7. Polo6RGTI

Polo6RGTI MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Add Open Command Prompt as Administrator and Open Powershell as Administrator to Right Click Menu.
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\Shell\CMDPowershell]
    "MUIVerb"="Command Prompt / Powershell"
    "SubCommands"="runas;Windows.MultiVerb.PowershellAsAdmin"
    "icon"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\cmd.exe"
    "Position"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\runas]
    @="Open Command Window as administrator"
    "icon"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\cmd.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""