How do you protect your kids online - your tips are welcome

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bennows, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Bennows

Bennows MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2015
    Hi guys. I've looked through several topics related to internet security and malware. But then I remembered about my grandson, who is constantly glued to his computer screen every time I visit him. I assume he already has that video game addiction, everyone is talking about. The worst thing is that my son doesn't have time to do regular checks of his computer activity, and I'm not in charge of doing so. Instead, my son keeps saying they installed some parental control sofware and that there's no need to worry. I did some internet research myself, as I'm too concerned about my grandson online activity, and I've come across emsi.at/kidsafe . They give a few tips on how to protect our kids online and what parental control is better. I was surprised to see "non technology solution" at number one tip - have a conversation with your kid, - and I totally agree with it. However, I would appreciate everyone to share your thoughts and maybe tips on how to keep our precious kids safe online.

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Best way would be to not them online, however that would be hard in an age where technology and internet is everywhere we go.

This is from the Australia Federal Police, be good to give it a quick read.

The main things would be:

1. Educate yourself and your child about the internet
    2. Explain the risks and possible out comes
    3. Give them some Internet Safety Tips (there are lots, so use google)
    4. This goes with point 1; educate yourself and child about viruses, maleware, etc. and ways to prevent getting them.
    5. Common sense also plays a big role
    6. Failing all that, there are programs available to monitor, control, restrict websites, internet times, speed, etc.; however it shouldn't have to come to that.

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I have found a free program called K9 that works well, but can be restrictive so it will need your attention when you first install it to give the permissions you want the kids to access (blocks facebook and my space...ect)
    http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...