How does it know IPs

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ruili, Jul 26, 2015.

1. ruili

ruili MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2015
    Started playing with a firewall and trying to block windows via IP. It seems that explorer has an unlimited list of IPs to try or is it getting a refreshed list from somewhere. How does each part of windows know what the IPs are? Is it a list coded in that can be changed or is it an algorithm going through possibilities?

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
  3. crossup

crossup MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Don't worry your pirated windows is safe.

4. ruili

ruili MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2015
    Always someone with really useful remarks, go open another facebook account and give them some more of your passwords. Should keep you busy for awhile.

5. crossup

crossup MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2015
    #5 crossup, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Instead of blocking the IP, block the file. Use a third party firewall and block everything and whitelist application in case by case basis. That's how you wear a tinfoil hat like a pro.

Sadly people like you are a minorty, if you begin to care about privacy at tinfoil hat level it gets bad. Soon you'll become a grandpa who will scream at little kids in the park.

6. ruili

ruili MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2015
    #6 ruili, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    (OP)
    Tinfoil hat! that's so old school. I've got a got a Faraday cage with dual overhead bin injectors! I am interested in blocking those elusive svchost events. Windows update doesn't seem to show up as itself anymore.

GET OFF MY LAWN!:mad:

No I am not one of those people that worships :worthy:at the alter of Microsoft. I used windows 7 since it was in beta and never installed any of their "security" updates and never had a problem. I don't need Microsoft to hold my hand, I am all grown up now and can cross the internet all by myself....