How does MS vote on code?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jasqid, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Could someone please enlighten me on the process MS uses to "vote" on RTM and gold code?
    Is this process a consensus of ALL the people that work on the code, voting on which build they like? Is it just the product managers and/or VP? Is it 2 people sitting in a room smoking cigars?

I was hoping someone could elaborate about this process. How long does it take? Is it done electronically? Do they stuff a paper ballot in a box?

2. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    I'll tell you what I know about it, isn't that much o_O
    They vote to choose all milestones : M1, M2, M3, Beta, RC, RTM.
    All Microsoft employees into the Windows 8 team vote. It can take some hours to vote a build. Actually every employee will test the build and, if one finds a bug, he reports it and votes against the build. If no bug has been found into the voted build, the build is promoted to gold code status.
    If only one employee has voted against the build, the team has to fix the bug, and relaunch the vote process on the fixed build. This until the employees don't find a bug anymore.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i assume they skip minor bugs and just halt for major bugs right? otherwise they'd be at it till the end of time.

they can be fixed after rtm right?

4. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    No, they try to fix every little bug.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
    thats why we saw dozen hotfixes 2 weeks after win7 launched :laie:

6. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    That's because MS employees failed during the voting period :D
    They are humans...

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    this time, they promised to do better ... :D