how does one stop windows 7 creating shotcuts ????

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jabberwocky, May 30, 2011.

1. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I will explain ,A friend of mine wants to copy his entire music collection (mp3s) from one PC to another , he is using a portable drive ,he tells me he can copy the files to the portable drive ok but when he copy,s them to his new laptop ,it appears to work ,but when he goes into the folders they are all just shortcuts and he cannot play them without the portable drive attached .
    I am guessing he is using drag and drop . i suggested he use copy and paste after selecting all files . he says it still only creates shortcuts no matter what he tries.
    I am due to pay him a visit to sort it out for him ,but I dont use any music on my own rigs and am a bit in the dark .I know nothing about how media centre deals with these files either,is this a behaviour common with mp3s or any other music files .and how do I copy the entire set of folders without windows 7 automatically creating shortcuts ???

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Make sure when he is copying files to he is not doing it from a windows 7 library he needs to access the folder to copy files.

3. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    thanks urie ,you may have it sorted .I do remember the last time I saw him ,he accesses just about everything via libraries .I will have a look and explain to him if thats the case .thanks again.