How I can reinstall windows 8 core in my Dell laptop ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by fedeghela, Mar 20, 2014.

1. fedeghela

fedeghela MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2014
    Hi,I bought 1 year ago a Dell Inspiron 7520....now I have to reinstall the OS(Windows 8 core) becouse my computer will not turn over,but I want to preserve and use my OEM license,then I need the official Dell OEM iso image of windows 8 core...
    Where I can found it ??
    Thank so much :worthy:

2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    #2 ian82, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Can you not start in safe more and then run Dell Backup and Recovery Application.

4. fedeghela

fedeghela MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2014
  5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012

I gave you the links to everything man. If it's a single language ISO that you have, then my first ISO of Windows 8 should not even ask you for a key

if you downloaded windows 8.1, then your key will not work in installation, only for activation

the way people do it is, there are many default installation keys out there if you google, they are not used for activation, but simply to install. when you are in windows, you use your own key to activate

now I am confused, which ISO you downloaded? windows 8? or windows 8.1 single language?

also, did you check which version of windows you have using the link I gave you above??????????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    How about checking your key with this: The Ultimate PID Checker to determine the correct version of Win 8 he's meant for :D.

7. fedeghela

fedeghela MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2014
    I download the windows 8 iso on the Mega link.The version on my key(such I have added in the previous post) is Win 8 RTM Core OEM ,is different from that downloaded ??

Thank s1ave77 I proceeded

8. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    if you downloaded that ISO, then it the key should match and it wouldn't even ask you for a key during setup

very strange

9. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #9 s1ave77, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    Key Type : OEM
    Interesting, didn't see those so far, the last laptops i maintained had:

Code:
    Edition Type    : Core
    Description    : Win 8 RTM Core OEM:DM
    Edition ID    : X18-15561
    Key Type    : OEM:DM
    EULA        : OEM
    Crypto ID    : 1796
    Anybody can shed light here...?

===================================================

Realized while comparing that Crypto ID and Edition ID are the same. Installed on the Laptops the Retail Win 8.1 version (Core/Pro named in the threads here). Apparantly had to install the key afterwards, but they got instanly activated at first net contact :good3:.

10. theeggman

theeggman MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2013
    #10 theeggman, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    I have been keeping an eye on this thread as I have a newer Dell laptop as well.

While I have not had the need to re-install the OS yet (I am the type of person whom always wants a way to clean install the OS (without the Dell bloatware preferably)). I have a slightly different situation as I have upgraded (through Microsoft directly) to Pro from the original Core installation. Once I upgraded, it bumped the installation to Pro with Media Center (No idea why Media Center, I thought this was separate from the Pro upgrade). Are these keys upgrade only, similar to the older media center upgrade keys? Can I directly reactivate the install using the key I got from the Microsoft store?

On a side note, I read on Dell's website they would send you the OS re-installation disks upon request. Long story short, I had to call into support to request the re-install media. Turns out they will not send out Windows 8 OS installation DVD disks to me. Instead they send out this "OS Recovery USB" stick.. (Which will supposedly re-install, but it includes Dell bloatware). No thanks to you Dell.

FYI: I have also checked my key and I have a similar a similarWin 8 RTM Core OEM: DM key.

11. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Normally Pro and WMC keys are completely different, so upgrading to Pro won't upgrade you to ProfessionalWMC. We are talking about a different key here as the one you posted the info? Did you check the key with janek2012s PID Checker?

12. theeggman

theeggman MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2013
    That is what I thought, which is why I was so very confused when I applied the key and it upgraded me to Windows 8 Pro Media Center (before I upgraded to 8.1 -- though come to think of it, I might have upgraded to 8.1 before upgrading to Pro, I don't recall). Strange thing is, janek2012's pid checker says the key from my email is invalid. However I checked using the nl Online checker (there is a link to it some place on MDL) and it says its for Pro Media Center.

Edition Type : ProfessionalWMC
    Description : Win 8.1 RTM ProfessionalWMC Retail

13. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    That's an Upgrade Key by design, but can be installed directly. That needs a self created ISO with specific activation tokens inserted to get it activated.

Normally you need to activate Pro before upgrading to ProWMC with it. Afterwards the Win Edition changed.

14. theeggman

theeggman MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2013
    Yeah, but why I'm confused is.. I never activated Pro. I only had the DELL OEM activation (which appears to be for Core, not Pro)

15. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Seems it is possible to upgrade from Core to ProWMC directly, as my Core Test VM took the upgrade key when trying to 'add new features to this edition' :hmm:. Only prompted me to activate it first.

16. fedeghela

fedeghela MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2014
    #16 fedeghela, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  17. fedeghela

fedeghela MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2014
    Yes, I think I need the Core OEM iso version, the one that corresponds to my key ... Is there a way to have it?