how i can use SATA and usb IDE hard drives

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by chompi, Jul 5, 2011.

1. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    My computer DELL is working with SATA hard drive and i plug a usb IDE hard drive, but i can't see when i open MY COMPUTER. no only that. when i try to start the machine with that hard drive connected stop working. i have windows xp pro with service pack 3. I need some kind of solution.

2. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    usb ide hdd? what? do you mean an ide hard drive that has been converted to connect through usb like an external hard drive or what? if that is the case, does the hdd have power? i'm assuming not if there is no power cord, and i haven't seen many of these conversions with one...

or do you mean both a usb and an ide hard drive are not seen in my computer? they won't be in my computer until the drivers are installed for them. if it is an ide that has been connected internally and windows doesn't find it automatically then you--start, right click 'my computer', choose manage, then choose device manager, right click disk drives and choose scan for hardware changes and see if it doesn't install the driver for it then. if it is a usb hard drive and windows doesn't find it automatically then do the same steps except in device manager right click universal serial bus controllers and choose scan for hardware changes and it should find it and install the drivers.

if this doesn't work, then please explain your question more thoroughly so we know exactly what you are talking about...

3. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    this is a external hard drive with 12 volts transformer, but is not SATA. the hard drive inside the computer yes, is SATA hard drive. it no show when i open my computer, only drive C and drive for my DVD. i try install hardware and nothing. i look in sistem-hardware and nothing. i think that is because both HD are not the same.

4. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    on your first post you say it's a usb ide hard drive which are two totally different things altogether.

i understand you have sata internally, there was no doubt about that...

explain exactly what your external drive is??? an ide that has been converted to usb hard drive (if so did you make it yourself or buy it from somewhere/someone)? or just a regular usb hard drive?

5. ff7fan4eva

ff7fan4eva MDL Junior Member

Apr 28, 2011
    I think he has an IDE enclosure for the HDD, if that's the case and it's a 3.5 inch HDD the power may be too low or not working, If it's a 2.5Inch HDD then the the USB power may not be sufficient for the drive

In either case no drivers would be needed seen as XP has good USB and bridge drivers by default

6. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Ok. here we go again. i put this together. hard drive from best buys, case order by mail, working well in another computer before. I just plugged and 'voila' was drive ""F"" in ""my computer""...because both hard drives were the same ( no sata ). by the way thank you for your help.

7. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    i want to apologize to those bloggers who answered my question. What happen is that the hard drive i plug was a bad one. when i switch and install another it works very well. i am so sorry. thank you.

8. ff7fan4eva

ff7fan4eva MDL Junior Member

Apr 28, 2011
    I still dont understand but well done :)