How many times must I delete a file to remove it?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Davejay, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Davejay

Davejay MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi folks, newbie here, VERY newbie. . . in fact this is my first post. Probably posted in the wrong place, but here goes. . . I downloaded the very useful Microsoft Office 2010 toolkit EZ-Activator 2.2.3. It worked like a charm. However I no longer want or need the program. I cannot delete it. Well I can, it moves to the recycle bin, I empty said recycle bin, but after the next boot it is back again! Spooky. Then I started to investigate the program and discovered I could limit its activity in Task Scheduler. The problem is, EVERY time I boot my laptop, the UAC asks if I want to let this program make changes to my computer. It has already activated the program so I click the "NO" option. The aformentioned task scheduler had no effect. I deleted the task and it miraculously returns. I deleted C:\Windows\AutoKMS. It also comes back. I used Regedit and deleted every mention of "toolkit.exe". It still comes back. That's why I joined this forum. The author of the program has several posts here. But they all talk about USING the program. I can find nothing about completely removing it from my system. If CODYQX4 is reading this (I can hope!) perhaps he can help me remove it. Thanks. Hope someone can help.

My Computer is a HP Pavilion g6 intel 2.2Ghz. 8 Gb Ram Windows 8 (legit copy - pre-installed)

2. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    #3 im bored, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    Well I will use version 2.4.1 as an example under Activation tab there is a button that says Uninstall.
    WT 2.4.1.jpg

and if that doesn't work for you than you can go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library
    and in there you will likely find a Task that is scheduled to run every boot up (AutoKMS). DELETE it

3. Davejay

Davejay MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. I think my PC is haunted. Actually, I did delete the task from task scheduler but after next reboot it was back again. I also deleted the C:\Windows\AutoKMS, and that too reappeared after the next reboot. On top of that I deleted C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft Office 2010 toolkit.exe and that too came back after the next reboot. Like I said. . . Spooky

4. Davejay

Davejay MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi again!
    I just used the uninstall button like in your picture on the activation tab to uninstall KMS. Several lines of text scrolled up. It deleted all the relevant parts. The last line says "KMS has been successfully removed from your system" Guess what? I reset my PC and after rebooting the "THING" was all present and correct. It had re-installed itself during the reboot. Aaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggg!!!!!! My PC is Haunted. . . . .
    :mad:

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    when you say reset your pc, do you mean you are rebooting or refreshing the PC? If refreshing the PC it may be saved in your backed up refresh

6. Davejay

Davejay MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2013
    #7 Davejay, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    (OP)
    Hi EFA11,
    thanks for your input, I appreciate it. When I say reset, I mean rebooting.

This may seem real stupid, but, how does one refresh a PC?

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    try one thing at first:
    open cmd as admin and enter sfc /scannow
    perhaps you get some info about what is/was happening. Then let us know

8. Davejay

Davejay MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2013
    Well, I did as you suggested. The System File Checker took nearly half an hour to tell me that it found some corrupted files and successfully repaired them. It pointed me to the log file with all the details at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log. Then I could not access it, because I did not have permission. After twiddling with the UAC I finally managed to access the file. . . I opened it in Microsoft Word only to be confronted with a document of over 4,100 pages!!!
    Where on earth do I start to find - how did you put it? "info about what is/was happening"!
    Tolstoy's War and Peace was a short story compared to the size of this log file.
    I'm TOTALLY lost!!!

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    No real need to read that log. Better question is, are able to remove MTK now?
    Refresh/Reset options you can access by pressing WIN+I and "Change PC settings / General", scroll down the options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Davejay

Davejay MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2013
    Success, it didn't return after my last reboot!!

Thanks everyone.