How much bandwidth does Windows 10 P2P updates actually save?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by cheezels, Nov 11, 2015.

1. cheezels

cheezels MDL Junior Member

Jan 17, 2015
    For those who live on limited internet connections, Windows 10's new P2P update system is a great idea. Although the default behaviour isn't ideal (I make sure to disable sharing over the internet on every Windows 10 PC I come across), the fact that you can have a single Windows 10 PC seed to all your other devices on a LAN is a great idea, in theory.

I was wondering if someone has done a comparison on how much difference it actually makes in a typical household or small office with around 5-15 Windows 10 devices or so. If someone has some data on this, I'd be curious to see much of a difference it actually makes.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    None. It's for helping get updates when the MS servers are overloaded.

3. Krutonium

Krutonium MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2013
    On the contrary, if the computers on the LAN see that a local PC has the updates, wouldn't that save downloading externally?

4. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    I have seen my pc download full update from Microsoft servers even though another pc had the upudate cache downloaded on it. PCs were set for LAN p2p only.

Somehow makes me believe that Microsoft wants to create an illusion that you are under control of your PC but in reality, Windows will do whatever it wants to do irrespective of your setting.

Truly next gen computing. Microsoft's very own botnet.

5. Krutonium

Krutonium MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2013
    That could very easily be for any number of reasons, including but not limited to Firewalls, Routers, or Settings (Home vs Public network).

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I agree with your statement. It means it will ease download process in a nutshell.

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It could, but It's more likely that they will download from the servers anyway unless you limit their bandwidth to the internet.

8. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Microsoft Corp has primary an secondary servers regarding their updates " throw outs " primary are owned and serviced by MSC. Secondary servers are rented bandwidth from RIM BlackBerry and Android Corp and others MSC Flys staff to load physically all these seconds servers with cards to calibrate

9. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Uhmmm I would love to see some sort of proof. Do these ignorant engineers not understand that some or many of us are on a metered connection?!?! I signed up for an unlimited connection and only to find out that I'm capped at 350GB per month. So maybe its a lot to ask but those numbnuts should have asked me before downloading many gigs of data to my 7 PCs in the house. I now have my 50/6 crap regional provider threatening me to close the account.

Does Micro$haft seriously live in a world where most people get unlimited data per month?

10. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    I hear you brother but it's just one of those deals " car needs insurance and gas" deals, the same really applies now in these time regarding anything in IT and the word wide web it's nothing but $$$ the bottom line and now tracking that's included somewhere in the mix, example someone has to pay everyone at the NSA and cyber division at the FBI and many more Agency's

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Unmetered for Bandwidth, but: limited for max downloads! That's normal in most countries. Most users just didn't read the 'Fine Print' if they sign up for such contract, or even any contract! Goal for the Service Providers is simply to 'sell' account's, and it's up to the user to clarify up front and BEFORE sign the contract/order what they'll really get! Beside of that, never forget, the speed of the connection is granted only between your place and the ISP's Data Center and NOT further on! And more, most of the ISP's worldwide also using Connection Sharing, which could end up in quite a bit of loose of Bandwidth/Speed/Download/Upload!

Anyway 350GB is already quite a bit!! I use to normally max 50GB download a month!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I'm not being very clear. I have an allotted amount of data. So Micro$haft using me to speed up their their download speeds is unacceptable.

13. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    350GB is fine for you and me normally. Here comes Micro$haft using up to around 28GB of our data and now nothing is said. I don't understand what your point is...

14. Drexl

Drexl MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2007
    It would be funny if it was the Network Type setting (Private vs. Public) that was stopping it. Unlike previous versions, Windows 10 doesn't bother to ask you when you connect to a network for the first time and just sets it to Public. I can only guess this is an effort to make it "friendlier" by not asking as many questions (they don't even prompt you to give the computer a name or set your time zone anymore), but in doing so they may have restricted what could be a useful new feature for larger networks.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, the fact for me is, I didn't have Down- and/or Upload limits, what I have is a limited Bandwidth: 30Mbps down and 3Mbps up! I could have, for the same cost, more Bandwidth, just the download/upload would get some limits! So, what's better?? For me, it's what I already have!

The metered download/upload would start after a sudden amount of data traffic to also slow down the Bandwidth! That's how my ISP would 'control' my connection and limits. With that limited Bandwidth and unlimited Download/Upload, it just works fine for me and the speed is much good enough for me.

You should have asked your ISP what's are the real limits for your connection you had applied for. The ISP will not come out from selves to tell that, that they'll have put down in the 'Fine Print' of their contract.

And just to mention, from my Home Computer, which isn't controlled by Smoothwall (as my Office machines), the amount of data send to Microsoft in the last month, were 9.1GB! And that's UPLOADS, not downloads!! the 28GB you're talking about, what they're for: Upload/Download? I use NS-Auditor for to control special my uploads!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    They're not using you to speed up anything, the FUD is flying. They didn't make metered so they didn't work one of their million servers or ones they lease.

The only thing metered does is download updates to one pc, then if and only if you have different PC's, devices with windows, does it share them to the others so they all don't use bandwidth downloading the same updates. So instead of 5 PC's downloading 5 KB32145, one downloads and shares it to the others.

If you don't want wasted bandwidth, learn how to block spying, diagnostic, and find another place to DL updates and manually install them and turn off updates.

17. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    P2P updates is a good idea, but it doesn't work. I have 4 PCs on a Wireless LAN, everything done properly, file sharing, printer sharing, everything working, but no local updates. Every MF PC downloads its updates from the internet, and ONLY the internet. :mad:

18. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #18 odiebugs1, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    And you're sure that "EVERYONE of them" has it's settings for updates as metered ?.

And did you go to the WIFI tab on each one, advanced options, and set metered to ON ?.

19. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It is not applicable to metered connection.

20. cheezels

cheezels MDL Junior Member

Jan 17, 2015
    I'm doing a number of updates to TH2 at the moment and it is crawling along. This P2P update system isn't working how it should, as one of my PCs has the update already. Is there a chance that this is being fixed in TH2?