how much harddrive space should i reserve for windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mamamia88, Jan 10, 2010.

1. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    just wondering? i want to schrink windows 7 on my netbook to next to know harddrive space and install xubuntu on it how much space does it actually require to run properly?

2. zebra14

zebra14 MDL Novice

May 5, 2008
    I have a 30 GB SDD drive and it's space enough for the OS and most my applications. I still have 5 GB breathing space. 35 GB might be a good target.

3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Im running at 19.4 (20) and still got 6GB free, i could probably free up some more.

Ofcourse all my apps and games are installed to another partition.

4. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    all right i'll aim for 20-30gb

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Best to make sure you always have some free space in spare.
    I have a 40gig partition with about 15gig. I use a lot of apps and other stuff, though I'll never have to worry bout the partition getting full.

6. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    I've 60GB u don't need more ( except u install all programs on %systemdrive% )

7. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    the wierd thing about windows (all versions) is that it will reduce the installed size of the OS if space is low .for example you could have two partitions 1 of say 30gb and 1 of 16gb (win7 min req) and your Identical installs will be quite a bit different in size ,the reason being if windows sees plenty of space available during install it will install everything including leaving files behind from install that are no longer needed. if on the other hand windows sees barely enough space for install it will install everything ,but will remove all rubbish (unnessesary files) and even compress some that are not likely to be used . you will end up with 2 vastly different install sizes ,from identical installs and yet both systems will have identical functions ,(nothing will be missing) as far as usage is concerned .
    I usually create a very small partition at the beginning of my drive (only bare requirement size) and install windows , then make sure all my basic software and drivers are sorted , then you can resize (enlarge your partition a little ) to achieve what extra space you want .
    I allways keep my OSs to a minimum ,prefering to keep all important files on external drives and media.
    the benefit from this method is that the OS partition rarely gets cluttered ,smaller drives are quicker and easier to defrag and clean ,and its easier and quicker to make a backup of such a system and restore without losing any important stuff .