How nessesary is it to keep the Windows Store if your a PC gamer?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RemixDeluxe, Aug 10, 2016.

1. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    My main motivation for getting onto Windows 10 was to have access to DX12 so I dont miss out on any games that support it, however I'm reading more how some games will not be available to purchase on steam or anywhere else and made exclusively on the Windows Store. There are games I want to buy in the future like Scalebound and Sea of Thieves but Microsoft insists on keeping an iron grip to making their store the only choice for game purchases. Aside from piracy, do I have no choice but to keep the Windows Store?

P.S. While I'm here, I keep getting this issue with my PC asking for admin permission to open, move, copy files from anywhere on my PC despite being the admin and only user. I turned my user control access all the way down and I keep getting bugged about needing admin permission every time. I'm not locked out of seeing or doing anything but I'd rather not deal with a pop-up everytime.

2. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    If you anticipate having to use the Store in future, what's your objection to keeping it around? Just don't use it until and unless you have to. I doubt whether removing it will save you all that much disk space.

3. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Probably you'll need to take ownership of the older folders.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    How necessary is it too keep it at all regardless of your interests? Over the years I've learned not to cut myself off from various sources. As long as they are not intrusive, and function only when I want them to, I leave them alone. You just never know when you won't need (or want) the store. Well, you might but I am no longer so dead sure of everything I do. Hence, leave things for future reference and use. For me, at this point the store is a reference only. As is the usual case, YMMV.

5. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    they are furiously moving to store and forcing the developers to do it so. Their "point" is to compete with steam, kill piracy and forcing you to buy new hardware.

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #6 Espionage724, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Dragging the slider down to the bottom doesn't actually kill UAC. Running this command below in an administrative command prompt will:

Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableLUA" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "0" /f

(this will also prevent non-essential Modern UI apps from running)

7. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    This is not really a solution though to his problem. If Windows is asking for admin permission to open, move, copy files from anywhere on his PC, it's certainly not UAC's fault. Somehow folder permissions seem to have gotten messed up on his system and that's the main issue that needs to be addressed.

8. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    And to MS I say good luck with that. I lost count of how many cracked steam games there are. If MS forces everything to the store we'll be seeing cracked windows store games with 3rd party hardware patches.

9. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    Any suggestions about the folder permissions? Its still the only problem I'm facing right now with my Windows 10.

10. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    #10 yomoma2, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Store apps like Xbox Acessories are needed to update firmware on Xbox One Controllers (if you have one, but not an Xbox), other than for remapping. Still, you might be able to get away with it on a VM for that periodic stuff.

11. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012
    If they succeed to move all developers to Windows store would they be able to kill piracy? :g:

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

That's the idea. Got the razor for free? Now pay the blades.

It's so simple that isn't even worth to discuss about that

13. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012
    People must find some way to to install Windows store apps for freedom. MS has made this very complicated and it's quite difficult but I hope some people might be working on this. May be they develop some easy solution for this. Otherwise it would be very difficult for all of us.o_O

14. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    By 'freedom' you mean 'piracy'? Otherwise what's the problem installing Store apps normally (after purchasing if required)?

15. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

More or less that is.

Usually the nations where the absence of crimes is enforced, are the nations where a dictatorship is in charge.

Move your sight to virtual/immaterial things and the concept is the same

17. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I don't play games or buy software, but the Store is still useful for getting free stuff. Keep it.

18. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm going to ignore W10 exclusive Store games. I don't want that PC becomes Microsoft's next console, more than it already is :p GOG first (if the game is available there) and then Steam.

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Anyway, at least for now, the store can be removed and integrated at will.

That will be a real problem when everything will be enforced, Apple style.

MS is trying badly to move from its own philosophy to one aped from what apple does since 2007 or so.

The bad news is that it will succeed on that, the good news is that we aren't yet there