how should i determine,whether i use x86 or x64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pramu, Mar 31, 2010.

1. pramu

pramu MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2008
    Dear Friends

What is the base of using x86 or x64. and what is the advantage of using each.

thanks in advance for the same

2. Azazel84

Azazel84 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    An x64 architecture lets you use more RAM. If you have 4 GB RAM or more you should use an x64 version of 7

3. Ron1958

Ron1958 MDL Junior Member

Feb 21, 2010
    x86 is for a 32bit processor, x64 is for a 64bit processor.

4. Frenchguy

Frenchguy MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    #4 Frenchguy, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
    It is not that easy, Ron1958. You can use x86 (32 bit) Operating system software on a x64 (64 bit) processor and more than often x86 (32 bit) Operating system software is the best choice.

The only big deal with 64 bit is for servers, or if you use a computer only for compression/extraction purposes or if you have a video card (or many in SLI or Crossfire) that give you more than 1GB(1024MB) video memory in total.

Many benchmarks show that there is no benefit on games or most application with more than 2GB of ram.
    You can even lost performance with 64 bit Operating system software because most applications does not support it well or because you have 4GB or below. ( You need more than 4GB of ram to be one the same speed than 32bit Operating system software because the 64 bit Operating system software use more ram and more space)
    *You can run 32 bit applications on 64 bit Operating system software but at a small performance lost.

So it is up to you what you do with your computer but for most people x86 is the best choice.
    What is you video card that you use and how many pci-e 16x slot do you have in your motherboard?

5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Never heard any gamers running like 2GB ram...lol More like 6-8GB RAM. I myself need a lot of RAM with the software Adobe CS4 or I'll be waiting forever for things to process

I feel the gamer side of the force coming quickly to comment...lol

6. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Gents,

My take is based on a combination of what you want the Box to do, the CPU, and Ram (present or future). 64 Bit compatibility is coming faster and faster as more developers see a market for it. So it's a bit of "future proofing" if your resources (CPU primarily - normally you can add extra Ram) will allow it. A 64 Bit platform is best applied to resouce intensive applications (like Video Editing, Photoshop, etc.,). But if all you do is Web Surfing, Word Processing, Spreadsheets, etc., a 32 bit OS will fit you like a glove.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Frenchguy

Frenchguy MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    With CS4 you are indeed better off with x64 operating system software but since most people don't use it . . . . . .
    *My Hard disk is the botleneck of my computer so I plan to buy a SSD next year.

8. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Basically if you are either a hard core gamer or use high demanding programs like adobe CS4 and you have a lot of ram you should go for the x64 version. If you want a system to basically just web on then a x32(x86) is better for you. It really just depends on what you do with your computer. Personally I run Win7 Pro x64 because I use both software like adobe cs4, visual studios, and I game a lot when I am bored. Just remember that x64 os uses more resources like RAM compared to x32.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    i think u should take a lokk on x64..i use x64 with 4g ram..since then..i've experienced no lagging..and,about the softwares..many company now pushing into x64..so..in my opinion..u should use x64

10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    On games, I can not say much since do not play much, but software??. My experience on win 7 64 bit is that all major softwares run fine and there is no difference. In fact, video rendering/converting softwares run faster. Even dvdshrink (~2003-04) does as good as in old win xp. You can also see the windows site for compatible software. There is an excel sheet that can be downloaded.

I had also been apprehensive about 64 bit and in fact in my first 2 mths of win 7 use so far, the first 3 weeks were on 32 bit and the last 5 weeks on 64 bit. No problems at all.

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Correct me if I'm wrong I may be but I though you could use 4 GB of ram with Tweaking software such as Vista tweak....
    As to ram usage it really doesn't matter all that much I use x64 cause if you need to upgrade the ram cause of a later OS you can but the most I have ever gotten out of my ram and I have 6 GB on Windows 7 Pro was 3 GB. Pretty much its just sound advice to upgrade to x64 sometime in the next years or so cause more software will start to utilize however none of the games use x64 yet as far as I know... Also x32 keys of 7 work with x64 copies of 7 just to let you know...

12. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
  13. titian

titian MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2009
    If you have 4Gb Ram or more I would go with the x64.
    If you have any older hardware or peripherals check for x64 drivers.
    It dosn't take long to reinstall with x86 if you aren't happy.

14. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Yea it really doesn't take that long to do x64 wise to x86 but yea there is no need for a computability list...
    either it works or it doesn't work and 99.99% of the time it will because of the computability built into windows 7..
    As to the 0.01 percent I would advice using Xp mode it works great...

15. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    If your motherboard supports 4 gb of memory or more use 64 bit unless you are absolutely sure you will never add that much ram.

16. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I had posted the compatibility list only as a reference. Based on my experience, all software that I use works on win 7 64 bit.

17. flasher33

flasher33 MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    ok all of that is good. in my case i never used x64 in my life and after reading this I am thinking of converting to it.
    the only thing that bothers me is that my x86 will only see 3GB of my 4GB ram

now resides the most important Q
    will the performance of games be any better, since it utilizes more ram ??
    need some details on this issue

18. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I thought 64 actually used memory or cpu more efficiantly and windows sees 3.2GB RAM with x86

Yes games will work better with more RAM

19. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    + 1
    You are correct

BUT ....

many games are not fully x64Bit Compatible ..
    it depends on the Game itself ..
    you have to research if your Favorite Games are fully compatible before making the switch ... (if you're a Gamer)
    and there are some other tedious discrepancies .. i forget.. im not a Hardcore Gamer like i used to be ...
    (i.e. i used to play GTA San Adreas, DiRT, Halo CE, and Test Drive.. never had any problems)

F.Y.I
    speaking of the devil.. today.. i did run into a program that is not compatible with x64Bit :(
    a Freeware program called "DVD43" .. supposedly it's very similar to "Slysoft AnyDVD"