How SLP 1.0 works??

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by jeremfg, Aug 7, 2009.

1. jeremfg

jeremfg MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2009
    I've been looking through this great forum for a while now (maybe a month) and I understrand perfectly how Vista (SLIC 2.0) and W7 (SLIC 2.1) activation process work... There are beautiful threads on how it all works in the corresponding forums...

However, I'm confused when it comes to OEM pre-activation of Windows XP.

What are the components needed for a succesful activation?

For example, in SLP 2.0 and 2.1, you need 3 components:
    1. Slic table in BIOS
    2. Cert file (must correspond to the BIOS SLIC table, so brand specific, but any windows edition)
    3. OEM key (any of the correct edition of the OS, it isn't brand specific)

But how does it works on XP? XP Pro SP3? XP Media Center 2005?

All I know so far, is that there is a hidden string in DMI info... But how is it found? Is there only 2 components required? If so, does it means that we need a key corresponding to the hidden string?

Are keys version-specific (Pro, Home, MCE, MCE 2005, SP1, SP2, SP3)?

Are the strings/key combo working on every edition of XP?

Please enlighten me! This stuff interests me!

Let's take my situation as an example... I have a old dell laptop with SLP 1.0 in it... But I don't want to use the old given disc (because of bloatware, no Service Pack intergrated makes windows update so long and less clean, etc.)

In my situation, I would download a new XP disc with SP3 intergrated... Preferably an original Media Center 2005 SP3 if it exists, with hash to verify authenticity...

And then, what else would I need to do? If one day I decide I want XP Pro SP3 instead of MCE, does the exact same process would work?

2. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #2 dobbelina, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jeremfg

jeremfg MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2009
    #3 jeremfg, Aug 8, 2009
    (OP)
  4. jeremfg

jeremfg MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2009
    Never mind... I've answered myself this time.... Saw a few tools on other threads on this forum

Apparently, I need to match

- Edition
    - Language
    - Service Pack

for the two dlls files??

The Setupp.ini can simply be modified??

So my only remaining question is in regards to MCE... Is it exactly the same as for the pro version? I use the dlls from MCE cd, any SLP key, matching oembios files??

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    OEMBIOS files the same, slp keys need to be from MCE, all else is exactly the same. See the thread here....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #6 dobbelina, Aug 8, 2009
  7. rogerdarabbit

rogerdarabbit MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    I don't get what the diff btw the bios method and the 4 oembios files method.

I tried changing the 4 files first and got activation popups. Then I had to flash and match to the 4 files manufacturer.

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The bios method is required for the oembios method to work. You have to have the slp string in the bios to match the files you put in the OS. The SLP string is analogous to the SLIC for vista and the oembios files are analogous to the cert for vista. You can trick oobe for activation, but (like the lo*ders for vista) it will be inactivated by updates.

Required for XP activation:

1--SLP string in bios (whether you do it or already there) in the correct location.

2--Oembios files (four of them in a matching set) for SLP

3--SLP/OEM serial key

Not unlike the vista activation, just a bit more primitive.

9. jeremfg

jeremfg MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2009
    yeah... Vista and 7 is much simpler... Just have to use slmgr to add the information in the OS...

I guess the only "clean" way to have a OEM XP is to have a prepared installation CD... They didn't make it possible to activate XP as easily as Vista or 7. Wich in it's own way, is quite funny when you think of it!

At least, we can be happy about the fact that so far, a bios can have both SLIC 2.1 and SLP 1.0, making it possible to have XP, Vista and 7 OEM activated on the system... Who's to say that full backward compatibility will always be possible!

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    XP is much simpler, primarily due to that fact that little to no bios code need to be altered for activation. SLP 2.* is very hard to manage and potentially damaging. no one ever bricked a board adding dmi info..

After the slp is in place, it is semantics. With the tools we have made, oembios change is easier than slmgr. SLP1.0 and SLP 2.* will always be compatible..two totally different technology..

You can have a clean activation easier with xp, and it doesnt need reinstall or prepared discs. You just have ot understand the process is all..:D

11. jeremfg

jeremfg MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2009
    It mus have been my experience with the other technology that spoke...LOL

I'm new to SLP1.0 because I've always resigned myself to using my 10$ Dell disc with bloatware, however I've been playing around with SPL2.0 for a while now, since Bios update eventually added SLIC2.0 to my bios...

On the bios side, I totally agree with you there. DMI is much safer... I was speaking about the activation process...

To me, it seemed simpler because you only had one file (XRM-MS) to manage and a simple command... But since I've never used any of the tools for XP, you might be right...

For example... I'm not sure about what tool should I use to add OEM information from 0ther version than VLK (retail, MCE for example)... Each time, the main feature put foward is VLK-> OEM... But what if it's not a VLK install?

12. rogerdarabbit

rogerdarabbit MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    I understand the XP portion at least now, thanks

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    It doesnt matter if vlk or other oem, you can change with our tools, otherwise you have to change the files and put up with WFP..

14. jeremfg

jeremfg MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2009
    Could you elaborate a little?

15. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #15 911medic, Aug 10, 2009
  16. jeremfg

jeremfg MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2009
    Thanks... Now I understand quite well how this whole thing works...

You've been able to answer my curiosity! Thank you!

17. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #18 911medic, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  18. Ipmark

Ipmark MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I followed your instruction, found HP SLP 1.0 string, used VLK to OEM method (the same used with Gigabyte mobo) and now WindowsXP in HP 6730s is activated (already passed WGA validation) :D

THANK YOU, 911medic !!

:D