How to activate Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed on drive with GPT?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by OOPMan, Oct 10, 2013.

1. OOPMan

OOPMan MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2013
    Hi all, first post here for me :)

I need to run a multi-boot with Windows 7 Ultimate and Sabayon Linux. At a later point SteamOS will be installed as well :)

Anyways, for now I've just finished installing Windows 7 Ultimate and Sabayon Linux. Due to requirements of the Sabayon installation I was forced to start from scratch with a GPT partition table. I've never had to use a GPT partition table before and hence I got a huge shock when I found that Windows Loader couldn't activate my Windows 7 installation due to the GPT table.

Is there any other method I can use to activate or bypass activation that will work correctly with my setup?

Thanks!

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    If you don't mind switching to Win 7 Pro or Win 7 Enterprise, you can activate using KMS on GPT partitioned disk. Microsoft Toolkit is the gold standard for KMS activation.

4. OOPMan

OOPMan MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2013
    I'll try WindSLIC for now. If I wanted to switch to Pro/Ent, is there a way to do it without re-installing Windows?

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. OOPMan

OOPMan MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2013
    Looks like I won't need it. I had to manually install WindSLIC for it to work, but it seems happy now :)

7. fscussel

fscussel MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2013
    I have no idea on how to install this. I have downloaded all the attachments included in the first post, exactracted all to the same dir and then run Install.bat. Is says it didn't find the WindSLIC, the install certificante, etc, and the ask for reboot. Nothing changes. Still activate period. So how to fix this? I am NOT using UEFI, I am using a GPT disk with windows 7 64 in old mode, not UEFI. Is this a problem?

8. OOPMan

OOPMan MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2013
    Hey, install.bat didn't work for me either. You need to follow the manual install instructions. Also, not sure how on earth you even managed Win 7 64 + GPT + MBR because I think that's impossible?

My problem, btw, was that my Sabayon Linux Grub2 bootloader had auto-detected Windows and was using the Windows Boot Loader rather than WindSLIC. I fixed this by adding a custom Grub2 boot entry for Windows that used WindSLIC instead :)

Not helpful, some of us need to multi-boot modern operating systems...

9. fscussel

fscussel MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2013
    I am not very sure on how it's configured, but I'm not booting UEFI and I've copied the partition from an MBR disk. So I don't know what's left, but the disk is GPT. UEFI is off as I've said. I don't follow the manual instructions, could you give me some clues? thanks

10. OOPMan

OOPMan MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2013
    Um....someone else may well correct me but as far as I know you can not boot a GPT-format disk using MBR.

If you are using GPT then you are using EFI/UEFI.

11. fscussel

fscussel MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2013
    You can, must be Win 7 64 bits tho. How can I check for SURE? Acronis Disk Director has stopped working, it says all the units are incompatible with the program.

12. NqkoiSiTam

NqkoiSiTam MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2018
    I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to post the solution to the problem. You can use the "KJ Activator" - its a korean activator for some of the microsoft products including windows 7. Switch to English at top. Select Beginner Mode -> Windows 7 -> Ultimate -> Windows OEM Activation. It worked for me for Windows 7 Ultimate on my gpt formmated drive :) . You can find the activator on some of the popular torrent websites.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I don't think that is a valid activator, probably runs removewat, the worst fake activation method ever.

14. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    You basically registered on a reputable forum, which has tons of resources on the subject, only to advise people to look for some shady/dodgy tool somewhere in the dark corners of the internet... They might not activate Ultimate(different activation channel), but you should be sticking to Pro/Ent any way if you're gonna be running it on GPT partitions - saves you a ton of headaches.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Ok, first of all, best do re-install on MBR on Windows 7 Pro or whatever, then next thing to do use DAZ and make work after is reboot it to make sure ok. then next thing is convert to GPT.. that all..

ATGPUD2003

16. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    If you convert to GPT, you'll lose the Loader, AFAIK.

17. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    I tried and it works..

ATGPDU2003

18. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    #20 vanelle, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018