[How To] Activate Windows 8.1 Pro using Windows 8 RTM product key

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Fluxinated, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Fluxinated

Fluxinated MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2013
    #1 Fluxinated, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    Here's how I activated my windows 8.1 RTM 64-bit since activation via phone didn't work for me

Request: Guys try to activate ur windows 8.1 without replacing those .dats

BACKUP YOUR SPP FOLDER FIRST

Requirements:

-Windows 8 Activation Backup(spp copy of your activated windows 8)
    tokens.dat
    data.dat
    cache.dat(from cache folder

1.Install Windows 8.1
    2.after install open cmd as admin and type slmgr /upk (this will remove your product key)
    3.Press Win+R and type %windir%\System32\spp

Make sure to verify that the store folder contains these files and folders!

1 file named data.dat which is hidden
    1 file named tokens.dat which is visible
    1 folder named cache containing a file named cache.dat

4.(take ownership of the folder spp first)copy tokens.dat and data.dat from your windows 8 activation backup and paste it in %windir%\System32\spp\store
    this would replace data.dat and tokens.dat

5.and also copy cache.dat from your windows 8 activation backup and place it in %windir%\System32\spp\store\cache

6.then open cmd as admin type slmgr -ipk (YOUR PRODUCT KEY)

then type slui 4 and choose United Kingdom and click Enter Confirmation ID

7.Enter your Confirmation ID of your WINDOWS 8

Then it should be activated...tell me if it works for you :D

Request: Guys try to activate ur windows 8.1 without replacing those .dats as mentioned above I haven't tried it

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      254.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      292.7 KB
      Views:
    • OHYEAH2.png
      OHYEAH2.png
      File size:
      344.8 KB
      Views:
  2. evo21

evo21 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Or just cut the crap and input the key in CP, much easier...why complicate such a simple thing?

3. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Can you please clarify this part:
    What did you actually do, and where did it go wrong?

If you have a legitimate Windows 8 Pro retail key, it can be entered in Windows 8.1 Pro as well. You should then be able to use phone activation as normal, using the Installation ID produced by Windows 8.1. Which part of this procedure didn't work and why?

4. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    He said he was having trouble with phone activation, so I'm guessing that entering the key normally, then trying to use the Installation ID generated by Windows 8.1 didn't work for him for some reason. Hence the need for the elaborate procedure, I am guessing.

5. evo21

evo21 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Oh, sorry don't know how that works, never had to use phone activation with a legit key.

6. Fluxinated

Fluxinated MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2013
    I just got my windows 8 key on the internet and it made my win8 copy activated so I backed it up and now my windows 8 key has been blocked and the keys posted on the internet didn't work for me so I had to experiment until I activated my win 8.1 copy and made this thread to help those people having the same situation

7. evo21

evo21 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    OK, i thought you were talking about legit keys, my mistake. But is it allowed to even mention those leaked keys on MDL?

8. Fluxinated

Fluxinated MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2013
    as I said I'm having trouble with phone activation since my windows 8 key has been blocked by Microsoft... I wouldn't make this thread if things just went smoothly

9. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    You key has not been "blocked", you just ran out of online activations (there is a limit)...You can use the phone to keep activating your product

10. Fluxinated

Fluxinated MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2013
    #10 Fluxinated, Sep 8, 2013
    (OP)
    nope it has been blocked I checked the error details It is stated there
    I tried so many keys some of them ran out of online activations as you said and some are blocked
    so I had to do some experimentations with my win8 activation backup

11. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #11 kelorgo, Sep 8, 2013
    Let's get a couple of things straight:

@Fluxinated: I see, so it's not "your" key, it's a random key you found on the internet, so it's not legit. No wonder you are having trouble activating.

@ricktendo64: Fluxinated is right. A product key can be in one of three stages: 1) still activates fine online 2) it has exceeded it's unlock limit, so it doesn't activate online anymore but still activates over phone 3) completely blocked, so it doesn't even activate over the phone. In the case of 2) and 3), you get a different error message when you try to activate online.

At any rate, this thread is superfluous, and the method in the original post is an overkill and unneccessary. You can just simply start from here:
    The reason this is sufficient: firstly, Windows 8.1 Pro accepts the same retail keys as Windows 8 Pro. Secondly, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 generate identical Installation IDs if the hardware hasn't changed and using the same product key, so the same Confirmation ID works for both.

In conclusion: if you have a note of your Confirmation ID, then there is no need to copy .dat files. Simply enter your existing product key in 8.1, and use your existing Confirmation ID (provided that the hardware hasn't changed).

12. Fluxinated

Fluxinated MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2013
    I'm aware that some methods are unneccessary it's just that i wasn't sure and i activated it after i replace those .dats thats why i requested those people who view this thread and btw thanks for the info :D

13. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    Is there a way to install Windows 8.1 RTM without having your own, genuine product key?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    yes for 30 days without any keys ;)

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    What is the point. Just install win 8.1 with specific 8.1 product key.
    If you do not have a 8.1 key, install with 8.1 trial key.
    Then just activate online in windows with 8 product key.
    So simple.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...