How to add win7 to oem partition to allow reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jet29, Apr 26, 2015.

1. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Is it possible to put Iso win 7 or own win 7 setup customised to one's settings so it can be invoked easily to reinstall win 7.

I want to delete the oem partition and do this or make it all one partition.

Anyone done this what do you suggest. I dont want to have all oem stuff.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    hi thanks for reply, i already have seen this, i was looking for some simple easy quick method.
    I was thinking of putting iso into small partition and make it boot that or copy and paste my windows setup into partition and simply copy it over!

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    hi thanks again, i want a quick & simple solution, which is simplest quickest effective method, used by win 7 users, actually win 7 is very stable and have not had to reinstall it for a few years now. but with recent experimenting with different programs and such, i just got interested in trying this.

Please suggest easiest program is anaethros program easy to use any others?

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you want to make an Image and/or Recovery Partition for just one special machine, e.g. your Laptop for instance, you'll need to have an clean install with all required drivers already set up and the Main Application you'll need to have as well. That means that you'll have either an extra HDD for your Machine or to do an clean install on it.

If you, on other hand, would like to create an Image and/or Recovery Partition for multiple machines, that will need even much more work!!

Anyway, as urie wrote, you should or even must use an special apps for to finally create that Recovery Image and Partition like the tool urie suggested.

The most easy way, if you've an external Storage Device like USB 3.0 external HDD, I would suggest to use HDClone 5 for to create an Image of your existing installation with all your apps, files and data and write them back to your machine in case your machine fails. Keep in mind, that in that way, any change done (new apps, deletes apps and data) after that creation would be missed in case of recovery! That means, it's suggested that you do an new creation of that recovery Image from time to time to be kind updated!
    You could also use WinToUSB 2.x for to create an king WindowsToGo Drive/Storage on an external Storage to be able to get your machine up and running if the main HDD fails.

On the end of the day, there many way to go and you've to chose which one suits your best.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I think the easiest way for you is to just uninstall any app you don't want. If you want to get rid of the recovery, delete it using diskpart & extend your OS partition...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Thanks for all suggestions to all !!! What i want to have is the oem partition with my uptodate windows setup, and whenever i want to replace the main c: windows setup i can simply delete and transfer everything over by copy and paste. can this be achieved would boot files etc need transferring. ie. if c: is wiped quick formatted, and then transfer everything to this partition from the oem part. I do have two hard disks in my laptop i added one in place of the dvd.

any ideas around this, how to go about, thats why i wanted to use a quick simple workaround without having to clone partitions etc.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Use our all Friend Google Search and you'll find so much answers and solutions which will suit your wishing 100%! It's just all about to first READ and then secondly CHOSE which solution suits your wishing. Just simply do your homework by yourself, all you need is on the Internet. At this forum you got several solutions already and if that isn't something for you, just go on and ring the bell on the next door!
    Good luck.

10. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    #10 jet29, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    (OP)
    Yes i know about google and i have been researching other sites and info too, i am joined with this site so naturally i will get all info i can from here and then decide!! thanks to all, info and experience for all !!!

There are alot of experienced people on MDL and i want to get their experienced advice!!!

11. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    #12 jet29, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    (OP)
    I have now experimented and have the above solution running from usb, so the menu runs from usb and allows me to make backup/clone of my c: partition to my 32Gb usb drive. by altering the menu.lst file.
    Make grub for dos usb using instructions in tutorial and simply copy all folders to usb change menu.lst file according to your hard drive partitions.

I decided to delete my oem partition which was taking up 12gb, i got rid of system reserved partion 100mb, transferred system/boot files to one c: partition. reinstalled win 7 to basic level got rid of all junk, tweaked all settings, setup a/v, malware, etc and then used the the tutorial and made small partition for backup/restore as per tutorial. I did the backup restore and got it to work, and now i have made it run from usb.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  13. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Thanks for the link urie will try it out, and see how it works looks quite comprehensive from reading about it, i am experimenting with a few i'm trying macrium reflect free and a few others i found on filehippo.com.

14. CEW

CEW MDL Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
    You could just copy the entire sources folder from the install dvd onto a drive. You can replace the sources\install.wim with an updated install.wim if you like.

When you boot boot.wim or winre.wim, setup searches all drives for \sources\install.wim.

If you want to get fancy, you can also set it up automatically so startup repair from boot.wim/winre.wim offers an extra option "reinstall windows".

To do that,open elevated cmd prompt and type

reagentc /setosimage [/path <dir_name> [/target <dir_name>]]

If you copied sources folder to drive D and your windows installation is C

1. reagentc /setosimage /path D:\sources /target C:\windows

2. reagentc /enable

(/target is optional )

( or you can use the unc path e.g. \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition9\sources)

15. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    i wanted a solution with windows setup and fully functioning with all drivers and windows updates and basic software ie. a/v, malware, win settings tweaked, all junk clear so that this becomes my 'oem' partition so to speak which i can quickly restore to c: and have fully working windows setup. i have found this clonezilla method suits me best, i have been looking at all programs on google and researching all methods. thanks all bye.

16. Leif Targo

Leif Targo MDL Junior Member

Oct 26, 2009
    FarStone One for $40 sounds nice, but i didn´t test that software.
    ---
    FarStone One is a system recovery software, it creates a recovery image on the system. User can restore files or the whole system, prevent system crash and data loss in one click.

The recovery image includes system files, applications, ..., and all partitions. What makes One different from others is that it is the PC recovery solution that creates a factory recovery image on the system. Users can restore files or the whole system any time any where with a hot-key. Create a recovery image on the system effectively gives you the ability to create an OEM factory recovery.

www . farstone.com/software/one.php

17. mariog60187

mariog60187 MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2012
    There is a way to boot to a Recovery Partition, using Easy BCD. First You need to create a Recovery partition , let say 8gb, then put your windows 7 folder there. (like it was a USB). Open the program Easy BCD ,go to add new entry, portable external media, WinPE,name replaced with "reinstall" ,path:your recovery partition drive, sources boot.wim.
    Now if you reboot you will have the option to reinstall on the boot manager.
    Unattended doesn't work ,installing in this way. But You can customize all your settings on your Windows 7, plus updates,etc.

Capture.PNG

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    So does Acronis and and others but they are not free.

19. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    This method is only good for reinstalling windows, u have to do all updates and teaks installing software.
    The farstone one recovery is what my initial aim was on begining of thread, but it costs, therefore the solution using clonzezilla is free and suitable and works for me!