How to apply these registries? Kindly help

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by winmaniac, Oct 29, 2015.

1. winmaniac

winmaniac MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    I am not as advanced a user as many people here and therefore I need help to enter one of the below registries. Would anyone help me? On the first page of the following thread:

Windows Firewall Configuration - Truly Block EVERYTHING...

in CODYQX4's post, two registries are mentioned:

Allow Only Core Networking + Block Windows Update
    Spoiler:

Allow Only Core Networking + Allow Windows Update*
    Spoiler:

I am unable to enter and apply any one of them. So kindly help me. Best regards:)

2. vdng9338

vdng9338 MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2015
    #2 vdng9338, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    It is actually the format of .reg files.
    1. Open notepad
    2. Paste the content of the first spoiler
    3. Save it somewhere with the .reg extension(i.e. type "sthg.reg" with the quotes)
    4. Double-click the file (and answer yes at uac prompt and answer yes again)
    Redo the same thing with the second spoiler (if you want).

3. Krutonium

Krutonium MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2013
    You realise anything before .reg in the filename can be arbitrary? Why not call it "Blocker" or something so that when looking at it later, it doesn't look like some random file, and has some sort of context?

4. winmaniac

winmaniac MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    #4 winmaniac, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    (OP)
    I saved the "Allow Only Core Networking + Allow Windows Update" registry according to the instructions of both of you in the notepad as "blocker.reg" but I can't find where it got saved and it seems nothing happened. How could I verify if this worked or not. Kindly inform me in some easy way how go do this or is there some other way to do this or is there some software to do this easily. Kindly help! o_O

5. winmaniac

winmaniac MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015

Dear MDL community,

Please help me. :31:

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You could open regedit and go to the reg entry the regtweaks from codyqx4 should have made/changed, see if it's there.

7. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    In Notepad you had to save with All files to be saved as a .reg file, if not it was saved as a .txt file and will not work. Go to This PC and do a search in Explorer for blocker.reg to see if it was saved