How to avoid creating 100MB partition during setup?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by George King, Jan 5, 2021.

1. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #1 George King, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    I remember there was a patch for Windows 7 setup to avoid 100MB partition creation.

Old link is dead..
    Code:
    https://www.mydigitallife.net/2009/01/09/how-to-avoid-200mb-hidden-system-partition-from-been-created-during-windows-7-installation/
    It was maybe winsetup.dll patch?

Anybody have patched files?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @George Kings
    Please make it clear to me what is the 100bm partition.
    100bm_partition.PNG

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    There's a workaround

Before running setup format and partition the disk and set as active then run W7 setup.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Look, it's not absolutely all the same how something is written. If You speaking of 100MB System Reserved partition, then it is 100MB, but not 100bm partition.
    The second thing is why should You avoid it, if system needs it and this section or partition is also so small.
    Even some .bmp pictures, used by the system, are larger!

6. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Sorry, fixed typo

7. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Sure it can be done by user, I only remember there was a solution to patch setup to suppress creation. That can help with Windows XP install.wim deploying

8. SamRubyTheCat

SamRubyTheCat MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2017
    You just need to create a NTFS partition (or partitions) that fully fill the entire disk side outside of the installation setup, just go back and go into "Repair System" and launch the Command Prompt, then use DiskPart to create the format the disk and create partitions, then go the normal steps and install Windows on the previously created partition, is you don't know how to use the diskpart tool, just type "help" after running the utility, that also works with the commands of diskpart like "help create partition".

9. aquarius84

aquarius84 MDL Member

Oct 3, 2012
    but the NO-creation of 100MB System Reserved could impact on the OS ?
    nowadays 100MB are less than nothing...

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @George King

The original discussion thread is here. The pre-patched files are long gone, but these offsets should work for manual patching.

11. SamRubyTheCat

SamRubyTheCat MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2017
    Actually that partition is more of a security step of Windows that have boot files and in the case of Windows 10, some critical updates in a safe place, everything will be written on the main active partition if the system reserved partition is not present.

12. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    This is not about to manually workaround. XP2ESD delete partition itself before reboot and make all tricks quietly without user touch.

13. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #13 George King, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    (OP)
  14. xrononautis

xrononautis MDL Senior Member

Mar 30, 2021
    Thank you for the patch!
    That will save me some time using the diskpart every time that I install Win7. As of reasons why someone would want to do this my scenario goes like this: I install Win7 as second OS in a dual boot system that has already Windows 10 (which I hate ofc). This is a laptop with 4 partitions already (boot reserved, recovery and so on). So for compatibility reasons I prefer to have one fifth partition for windows 7 without any additions. I would rather stay on the safe side here rather than test how well windows 10 collaborates with windows 7. Already one time during a major windows 10 upgrade the bcd entry for windows 7 was gone.

Also this is my first post here!
    So nice to meet you all and I am happy to be here!