How to back/ extract a Dell Bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Jarun, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Jarun

Jarun MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2009
    I tried searching the forums to no avail. I have a dell laptop that has a SLIC 2 bios. I also have two others that are same make and model without the SLIC. How do I backup the SLIC bios and flash the other two units? All dell bios I have dealt with are in exe containers. Yet the universal back kit extracts a .rom. Is there perhaps a way to insert the rom or build a dell bios exe with it?

The laptoop is a D830

2. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    All those things are possible. It's been years since I did them though. Basically the easiest thing to do is to use download the bios from Dell and use AndyP's tool to add SLIC 2.1. If the laptop never came with Windows originally then SLIC may not be activated at all in the bios. If that's the case you need to find the DOS tool for modifying your service tag number, you don't actually need to change it, you can use the original service tag number. It resets the bios and enables SLIC.

3. Jarun

Jarun MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2009
    Such a tool to switch on the SLIC would be useful. I know andies tool can extract and rebuild the exes. I wonder if that is a stand alone program within it or a native function.