how to backup installed applications and restore them when needed

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by dexterxtreme, Jun 27, 2010.

1. dexterxtreme

dexterxtreme MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    hi there to all great people of MDL
    hope you can solve my problem
    i need to backup my installed applications(only specific installed application(s) not the entire drive) so that i can restore them with all updates without need of re-installation when i needed

i tried backup4all but plugins are not available for all applications , softrescue is also not worth trying

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #3 acyuta, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
    I also want some help on a related question.

Problem Resolution:
    1. want software that can try out new, untested software in a enclosed space so that if I do not like it, can uninstall it without it leaving traces in my registry or program folders.

Constraints:
    1. not too technically competent, but enough to get scared if I see registry files or program file folders for uninstalled software. Revo, etc are not 100% successful. Then, because I am 20% competent, rush to either restore from system image (100% success) or reinstall OS.
    2. Because of this, I make a system image before using any new, big file software. That does take 20-25 mins to make an image and 15 mins to restore later if the software is not to my liking.
    I do have Sandboxie Pro 3.442, Norton Ghost 15.0, and Acronis True Image Home all with working keys. VMware is supposed to be good but I would rather skip that. Any suggestions or solutions. Acronis does have a try and decide feature but I have read mixed reviews of Acronis.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #7 acyuta, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  6. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    use paragon backup and recovery 2011 advanced (it's fully free) and you can backup your whole system, partial system, whole hdd, partitions, specific files, specific folders, etc. etc. whatever you want to back up really. you can install whatever applications you use the most into one main folder and just back up that folder after they all are installed and viola. of course this will not work for anything that requires certain registry keys or third party services to work. for that there is no way around it that i know of...

7. perceivedelusion

perceivedelusion MDL Member

Mar 10, 2010
    returnil 2011, switch to protected mode instantly, when through reboot and do away with all changes made if you want. not keeping changes DOES NOT increase boot time. home version is free.

michael clyde

8. stevemk14ebr

stevemk14ebr MDL Senior Member

Jun 23, 2010
    I use acronis true image home 2010 works PERFECTLY EVERY TIME!, if u want to just test out apps that may be suspicious or want quick removal just take a look if u don't like the app u installed then u just restart pc and acronis asks u if u want to remove changes or keep takes literally 3 minutes to get rid of changes

9. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    I use Acronis True Image Home 2010 too, and it works perfectly :thumbsup:

10. endlesslyonline

endlesslyonline MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2011
    have never used it, but from what i read what you want to do, you can maybe try sandboxie? i heard it makes a "fenced" install, so it installs/runs a program in this fence and no changes will be made to your system, even heard of people testing 'untrusted' software in it, so if it has a virus, it wont affect your system.

11. heatblast2002

heatblast2002 MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    Use pickmeapp it will do what you have asked
    You can backup all installed applications moreover it is free give it a try
    As i am new for MDL i can't post links search for pickmeapp from google search

12. DragonUJ

DragonUJ MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2011
    #15 DragonUJ, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    Try RollbackRX. It's like Windows System Restore but infinitely better! I used to have the same concerns about trying new and suspicious software but with RollbackRX, not anymore. It takes snapshots and restauration in seconds! (NOT MINUTES). Hope this help you.:thumbsup: By the way, for a bulletproof protection always take a complete image of your system first. Conclusion: Image Software + RollbackRX = No data loss and no wasted time ;)