How to boot to safe mode on Windows 8 Pro MSDN version

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by uchiha_dave, Aug 28, 2012.

1. uchiha_dave

uchiha_dave MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2012
    As title.
    I tried F8, and Shift+F8 and doesn't work.

Computer lock-up 2 seconds after entering to windows, so the msconfig method won't work(Not fast enough to launch it before it lock up).

2. antonio120

antonio120 MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2012
    #2 antonio120, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Run CMD as administrator of him and enter:

Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    And if you want to restore an original boot loader of eights in the CMD enter:

Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

3. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    try msconfig

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Metro > Settings > General > Advanced Startup

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I don't have a solution, I just wanted to comment that people must not fully read your stated problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    #6 alien2xx, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

can you get to the login screen (where you enter your password?) if you do, dont enter the password... then on the right bottom corner you have an icon to shutdown, restart, etc. options, press "Shift" and click on the icon and select "restart", you will get the recovery options, etc... this is what you may be looking for.

Windows 8 does not have F8 option anymore (gone, as Aero and Start Button did... RIP), you have 3 choices now get to the recovery options:
    - controlled by BIOS if you have EUFI thing on the bios.
    - 'msconfig' to change the way it boots (if you can get to windows, but cant)
    - use the 'Shift+ Restart' option as I just mentioned.
    That's it, the 3 new ways from Windows 8..
    Cheers..

7. uchiha_dave

uchiha_dave MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2012
    #7 uchiha_dave, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    (OP)
    Awesome Thanks, it works! "Shift-Restart" FTW!!

8. akash3656

akash3656 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2010
    #9 akash3656, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    For your case, Windows Recovery options should kick in somehow. And when it says it can't solve the problem, just hit advanced options or stuff like that and fool around to get legacy safe mode or something like that. It won't be easy but I've done it on Consumer Preview. Seriously, Microsoft should have left F8 alone :/ If you cannot do that, insert the Windows 8 setup dvd/usb and try "Repair your computer" underneath Install Now

9. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Does Windows 8 recognize if the computer cant boot up after a few startup BSODs and throw you into recovery? What if you had malware or something that prevented you from booting into windows?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    #11 triggat, Aug 30, 2012
    Windows-Startup-Settings.jpg

To access Boot Options menu, you can boot into Windows 8 and then select Advanced startup option on the General tab of PC settings. You can get to PC settings from the Settings charm, or by searching from the Start screen. On the General tab, you'll see a short description of the options that will be available in the boot options menu, as well as a Restart now button.

For even quicker access, there's another way of reaching the boot options menu: from within the shutdown menu. If you hold down the Shift key while clicking Restart, Windows 8 will go through the same sequence of events as if you had clicked Advanced startup from within PC settings.

There's one other way to trigger the boot options menu during shutdown, and this way has the added bonus of working from Command Prompt. Windows 8 comes with a new flag to shutdown.exe: /o. The /o flag only works in conjunction with /r (for restart), so the full syntax is:

Code:
    Shutdown.exe /r /o

11. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    What if we can't access those menus? In previous versions we could hit F8 before the flag and what about now if I have a problem and cannot boot?

12. acozart

acozart MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2010
    I had trouble booting up the other day and F8 worked for me this way.
    First I pressed F2 to enter setup and when I exited setup I then started pressing
    F8 and was able to get to system restore.

13. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    From what I know the trick is pressing F8 while holding shift...but the system will only give you the boot options if it senses a problem, otherwise it proceeds to the lock screen.

14. Cusy

Cusy MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2012
    My Win 8 Pc shows this error since this morning:

[h=1]User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded[/h]
    I googled some info and discovered that to fix it i need to boot to safe mode and regedit. Since i can no longer access to Win8 (can't login) is there any way to boot to safe mode without entering the OS (shift+click on reboot icon from login screen doesn't work, unless I'm doing something wrong)

15. acozart

acozart MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2010
    I have windows 8 pro installed.
    I just tried the F8 and it will work for me.
    Right when I press the power on button on my computer I
    start pressing F8 and the black screen comes up and gives me the
    option for safe mode.

16. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #18 HALIKUS, Sep 14, 2012
  17. MyDigito

MyDigito MDL Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I use the F8 key, when I want to go into Safe Mode.:rolleyes:

18. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    if you read ealier post you should know that you can't do that in windows 8, why are you posting useless comments on every thread:bash: