How to burn Windows 7 ISO into multiple CDs?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mopard, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    #1 Mopard, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Hello!
    I'm trying to install Windows 7 via CD because my DVD drive doesn't work. any of you know how to burn an ISO file into multiple CDs? I've been reading about Disc Spanning but I'm not sure it'll burn properly (sequentially, so it prompts me to insert the next disc)

Edit
    or if you know how to "fix" error "0xc000000e" when booting from USB would be better

2. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    #4 Mopard, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    (OP)
    I forgot to mention that my pc has both DVD and CD (burner) optical drives

My PC does boot from USB, I have installed many Linux distros that way. I remember I also installed Win XP via USB using YUMI a few years ago but it's not working with Win 7. A few weeks ago when I was using Xubuntu and wanted to go back to Windows XP, I tried to do it by USB using YUMI again but it didn't work this time (weird) and I haven't installed any BIOS updates since the last time I booted XP from USB

I think I'll wait till I can purschase a DVD burner

Thanks for you reply

Edit
    I tried Rufus and it didn't work either. I got the message "Press any key to boot from USB..." and the PC restarts every time I press Enter

with YUMI, Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool, or the manual method with Diskpart I get this error:

File: \Boot\BCD
    info: An error ocurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

3. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    #5 bludgard, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    plug in the USB drive
    open command prompt as admin
    type:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # (# will be the # of flash drive)
    clean
    create partition primary
    format fs ntfs quick
    assign
    active
    exit
    exit

now extract all files/folders from ISO to the root of USB (one should see all files/folders on the USB instead of in a folder on the USB drive)

Edit: If this does not work there is some hardware failure or BIOS setting that needs attention.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    I've done it before and it didn't work, that's the "manual method" I just mentioned. I wonder if the USB got modified on the boot sector somehow by the linux distros and needs to be fixed to run Windows again (I'm using the same one I used to install Linux)

is there any BIOS setting I should enable or disable other than "Boot from USB"? maybe some SATA setting that I cannot find o_O

5. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Got any specs on this rig? Make/model? Homegrown?
    Got a different flash drive to try?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Mopard

Mopard MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
  7. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    One could try to wipe the drive with Active@ Killdisk (use the One Pass Zeros option) and try it again.
    You can stop the wipe after a couple minutes into the process (this I suggest as one cannot do this (stopping the wipe) in Windows clean all command): This will give you a drive ready for any formatting/file system without worries of FS corruption.

8. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    An alternate option:
    On any Windows 7 machine, burn off a "system repair disc"

start-search "system repair"
    It will fit on a CD.

Copy contents of Windows 7 DVD (files, not ISO) onto a flash drive, or USB hard drive.

Boot from repair CD with your flash drive plugged in
    Get to command prompt as quick as possible (Shift+F10)

Navigate to flash drive and run setup.exe

if you're afraid of command prompt, type "notepad" and enter, then in notepad go file-open, all file types, Then you should be able to navigate to "my computer", then the flash drive / USB HDD, locate setup.exe, right click, and "Open" (not select.)

Windows 7 setup should start.