How to bypass / override / disable Windows 7 geographical localization capabilities?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RamGuy, May 9, 2012.

1. RamGuy

RamGuy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2009
    I'm starting to get sick and tired of this trend of having automatically geographical localization services default your system, installation and whatnot languages to your native tongue.

After having successfully managed to disable this nonsense within Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, at least to some degree (there are a few dumb websites that will grab your IP location and give you their website in your native language no matter what you do, only way to bypass this seems to be running a slow proxy...) I want to achieve the same in Windows.

I live in Norway, I've got my Windows 7 installation in English, I've got my region and language settings as follows:
    Format: English (United Kingdom)
    Keyboard: English (United Kingdom) - Norwegian (Basically this means location is set to United Kingdom but with Norwegian keyboard layout.)
    Current language for non-unicode programs: English (United Kingdom)

But still installations live Live Essentials, Microsoft Security Essentials and what not keep defaulting to Norwegian instead of English and this is starting to drive me nuts. What makes things even worse is the trends of various installations wont even let me chose any language any more, like the latest Microsoft Security Essentials defaults to Norwegian, even though I downloaded it from the American Microsoft websites and there is no option within the installer to change it to English so I'm basically stuck with Norwegian...

Surely there has to be some way to override or bypass this nonsense?

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Try offline installations maybe? Maybe you need to be completely isolated from the internet for the English language version not to be changed. If offline still gives you Norwegian then I'd assume the situation is being cause by something imbedded in either your BIOS or OS itself. Of course, I've seem programs fail installation entirely when not connected to the web.