How to change the background colour of File Explorer???

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RandXenon, Jan 8, 2017.

1. RandXenon

RandXenon MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2017
    #1 RandXenon, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Bear with me, my explanation is a bit... long-winded (I'm also new here :p)

I recently clean installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB and, while it is quite light on RAM (due to the lack of MS apps (read:bloatware :))), the blinding white theme across the OS has nearly killed my eyes. After too much searching, I have only found partial solutions to my initial problem (see below). I have not managed to change this which, even after changing the brightness setting of my PC to 0%, still annoys me to the point where it hurts to look at my screen. I was hoping someone could provide a solution by editing the registry or otherwise (NOT via third-party apps and preferably neither via using the High Contrast theme) to change this.

Partial Solutions
    ---------------

1. Enabling Dark Theme

Go to Settings > Personalisation > Colours > Choose your app mode
    Or use the registry key

http ://imgur.com/6ZFlfRR

2. High Contrast Theme

I created a high contrast theme to see if changing the background worked and, well...

http ://imgur.com/Rcwhols

It not only looks disgusting, but the body of the File Explorer didn't change colour (as noted above)

3. Change the corresponding line in the Theme File to change BG color

I don't remember very well how I did it, but I know for sure that the values indicated in the screenshot below with the "; <<< Changed" were manual edits that (probably) changed the background colour of most programs that I use BUT NOT the stupid File Explorer

http ://imgur.com/fXtxTKa

http ://imgur.com/RlwTOuB

As above, both Rufus, VLC and the sound thingy (best technical term yet :biggrin:) have a slight grey background colour, but File Explorer still has that horrible white colour.

4. Registry edits (None of these actually worked)

I then attempted to use the following keys and values in some places in the registry, only to find out that none of these worked for me:

Code:
    Key:Value pairs as follows:

ColorHorizontalBarBackground - ffdcdcdc
    ColorNavigationPaneBackground - ffdcdcdc
    ColorToolbarBackground - ffdcdcdc
    ColorVerticalBarBackground - ffdcdcdc
    CompatibleViewBackgroundColor - 00b4b4b4
    CompatibleViewFocusedBackgroundColor - 00c8c8c8

Note: the values above are in the format ABGR, where A is alpha, B is blue, G is green and R is red.

So, long story short, I haven't been able to find a solution for this :weep: and was hoping someone could help.

EDIT: Just noticed the attachments don't work, will fix it now.
    EDIT 2: Fixed.

P.S.: I'm currently compiling a list of ALL registry tweaks posted in this thread:

http s://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/62516-Windows-10-Tweaks-amp-Fixes

Plus a few that I found from other sources.

The following is a 'bonus' question for people who know this kind of stuff:

Should I post the completed list in the same thread or make a new one?

2. Failstyle420

Failstyle420 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to use third party apps?

This is by far the easiest method:
    Search google for cleodesktop uxtheme. Make sure you choose the right version number. I would link here, but I need more posts.

Install 2 programs, reboot, choose your theme. Literally takes 60 seconds.

I currently use the "Pure Black Blue" theme from the same site.

Works like a charm, but some programs I have noticed it's hard to read certain fonts.

3. RandXenon

RandXenon MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2017
    Well I'm a bit like wazzock (see post: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/72738-bye-bye-7-hello-10-(kind-of)) in that:

But I don't have enough skills to be able to scour the internal binary workings of the Windows OS AND understand what the hell I'm seeing. So I was hoping someone else could find that missing piece (mind you, I still haven't stopped looking).

On the third party app subject, the only one thing I guess I would use is the Windows 10 Folder Image Changer (a.k.a AveFolderBGW7) to change the background of Explorer. It does what I need and nothing more + it doesn't seem to be actively using RAM so that makes me happy :biggrin:.

But those themes look really cool actually! :thumbsup:

P.S.: Thanks for replying, by the way. You gave me yet another alternative in case my search leads nowhere.:good3:

4. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I am wary of theme patchers, some havnt worked. I am not good at explaining stuff. I hate the white background. I am gonna mod some 10 inbuilt theme files, personally i like w7 basic theme, with a slight mod, so i will see if i can transfer to a 10 theme. Will post my results. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    I dont like dark themes, i need glasses to use a pc, a harsh theme, black or ms high contrast themes, are wearing on the eyes and can lead to migraines :( so i need a milder theme. W7 basic in blue while looking Fisher Price is easy on the eyes.

I gave up theme tweaking long ago, i just find(and adjust if i have to) a workable solution that isnt migraine inducing. :)

7. RandXenon

RandXenon MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2017
    Yeah I prefer to apply my own solutions to things so that I can blame myself if that change broke my PC :D

Will await your results! :clap:

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Go right ahead, but my little program does not break anything. I wrote it myself. Plus it works beautifully, and perfectly.

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Thanks, I need to mention that Aeroglass is not included.

10. RandXenon

RandXenon MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2017
    Oh wasn't aware of that! That's even better then! :thumbsup:

Also I'm not worried about the Aeroglass theme - your theme looks really cool and that's all that matters!

11. Failstyle420

Failstyle420 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    Very cool setup! I really like that you have everything needed and it looks like you spent quite a bit of time setting this up! Kudos on the hard work! I only unzipped and poked around, but will definitely give it a shot when I end up formatting here soon! Thx for this!

12. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I must say that although I did write it, and put it together, I am not proficient enough to write all the code from scratch. I did borrow code from all over the internet. I looked at other peoples coding to see what they did, and how it was done, and incorporated it into this package so that it would work. So here is special thanks to all the people out there including people in this forum from whom I borrowed lines of code here, and there to get this damn thing to run well.

13. pf100

pf100 MDL Expert

Oct 22, 2010
    You mean that software that gets broken with every update that you pay for with arbitrary donations to get a key? Thank you for having the foresight to not include it.

14. zolotron

zolotron MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2015
    Many thanks and I must say I was skeptical initially about applying your software but it works very well and at last I can run 10 without playing around with brightness or have puffy screen eyes

15. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    Aeroglass is a gimmic. W7 basic in a blue is easy on the eye and perfectly acceptable, needs a tweak here and there.

Im tweaking a classic theme for w10 in grey, i will try a blue variation. Changing a background is easier on a classic theme than a w10 theme.