How to change the Windows 7 x64 OEM Key

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by withinthemind, Oct 4, 2009.

1. withinthemind

withinthemind MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Hello,
    I used the old Lenovo Key that is probably going to get blacklisted in 3 weeks when Windows 7 comes out. Therefore, I would like to change it to one of the 2 other OEM keys available. Is there any easy what that I can do that? My Windows 7 is still activated and works perfectly, but I never followed the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Sincerely,

-R.

2. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    SLMGR.VBS -ipk <key>

3. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Let me say it: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Who said that the Lenovo key is going to be blacklisted in 3 weeks? Changing the key (even if it is blacklisted) is trivial as outlined in the above post, so why not wait? There is no evidence MS has anything planned for the existing SLP keys.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    I say it again, m$ has never blacklisted an OEM:SLP key and never will cause you can't distinguish between legit and "non-legit". Especially if you use a bios mod you should have no problems...

5. imatrix

imatrix MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    withinthemind, the past is not always the future, but i agree that if it aint broke, dont fix it. I have activated my machines, but under Windows Updates, I select let me choose what to download and what to install, as long as u dont install the wrong update, your windows will remain activated.

6. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Download Microsoft Security Essentials and do a WGA check with the lenovo key, its quit funny.....it validates and says its genuine :cool:

7. Muttley

Muttley MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I wonder about the statement MS has never blacklisted an OEM key. Sure once they are in wide use that may well be true but the Lenovo key is now said by MS to be never released as an OEM key.

Therefore I expect it will be blacklisted. There is nothing stopping them blacklisting specific keys if they are not legitimately in public use.

8. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    WRONG

They will never ever blacklist that key or any OEM:SLP key. MS doesn't give a $hit.

9. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I would imagine that BIOS modders like us comprise a very small %tage of the total population of computer users...even a very small fraction of pirates. That said, MS has little gain to try and identify people who take this approach.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. withinthemind

withinthemind MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks for the help guys. The "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality has won once again! I Didn't know it was so simple.