How to check a windows 10 lite for anything suspicious ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by xhemal1325, Oct 15, 2019.

1. xhemal1325

xhemal1325 MDL Member

May 24, 2014
    Hi

I found over internet a lite version of windows 10 and it seems amazing, but problem is how safe it is ? I dont want there to be any keylogger and get my information like credi cards !

Anyway to scann it ?

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Good question but every windows has telemetry so gg on that you better get a official iso is my advice

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Please PM me the link and I will take a look on the Lite version.

4. xhemal1325

xhemal1325 MDL Member

May 24, 2014
    Well that spy which microsoft adds to windows 10 is removed from this version, but meaby there is added a new telementry !

Or better get back to windows 7 ! :(

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    There are some good proverbs. You can think on them if you want to live on earth.
    • 1. The bold wolf's chest is fat.
    • 2. Any rabbit does not play cards.
    • 3. Who does not risk, does not drink champagne.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Don't risk it! I have found embedded malware on several popular "lite os" in the past - it can be hidden in dozens of ways (persistent file-less time-bomb dynamic volatile registry / wmi / dcom / vnf objects or worse - hash collision of ms files lacking digital signature), making full content comparison mandatory and hours and hours of investigations as just firing it up in a vm won't work against smart malware detecting virtualization or debugging present.. and that's why no home-brewed iso's are allowed on mdl!
    Always install official, hash-verifiable(sha256+) OS.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Most choppers have no clue, most just hit every possible button in the different tools and feel the need to share the crappy resulting iso, we've seen one from the VIP releases of teamos, the crappy ltsb by phoenix, uzwuzw.

8. Anthony3

Anthony3 MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2019
    I don't know much about it. But I have been using Windows 10 more than 3.5 years.

9. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    If you want a Lite version do it yourself. There is no ready version that will fully meet your need. In a few months you will try to install a specific program and find that it is not possible because a certain Windows component has been removed.

But beforehand I warn you, at least about 2 years you will lose with trial and error and still you will not get anything satisfactory but if you want to venture out the only viable option is to buy an NTLite license and always use the most current version of the program. Otherwise with each cumulative update you will have problems. Even with the latest version of NTLite there is a high risk of having problems with the latest updates from Microsoft.

The safest way to get a Lite version is to remove nothing and only use tweaks.

10. moistbuns

moistbuns MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2015
    You can 'LITE' the OS yourself. NTLite or MSMG Toolkit are the main options as far as I'm aware. NTLite costs money if you want to remove more than just Metro Apps and language packs. MSMG Toolkit is free but not as easy-to-use and last I used it resulted in botched up installs. But it's free and NTLite costs an eye-watering amount for the average tinkerer.

11. xhemal1325

xhemal1325 MDL Member

May 24, 2014
    What about WinToolKit , I just saw a video about it on Youtube by Chris Titus Tech seems like NTLite, but free and easy to use

12. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    On Windows 10 after version 1607 WinToolKit is quite limited in removing components. Windows Defender for example cannot be removed if I am not mistaken.

13. perceivedelusion

perceivedelusion MDL Member

Mar 10, 2010
    NTlite paid version is $45, IIRC and includes free program version updates for 1 year.
    The free version can remove a bunch but not as much.
    nlite (version after vlite before NTlite) and few WAIK components can make a se7en install on a CD that will run most apps in VMWare now that there are no more updates.

14. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    nlite is not for XP? WinReducer is free however its menu itself is bloat and confusing and too slow to remove components.

15. perceivedelusion

perceivedelusion MDL Member

Mar 10, 2010
    #15 perceivedelusion, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    You are correct, I got it backwards. Vlite for se7en w/7 WAIK components. (now I have to check my notes)
    I haven't tried winreducer, now I know better.

16. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    if u got a good pc with 32gb of ram, lite it on the ramdrive
    saves time
    use NTlite,WinToolKit tweaks of good liter
    it wont take long

17. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    That's the risk u take when u install none authentic ISO u don't know whats in their.

18. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I made precisely one butchered "lite" version during my torrenting days and I regretted it. The way Windows should behave according to its own programming, and the way it actually behaves when faced with programs, are two different things. It is much better to just use a LTSB/C and make minor tweaks post-install. You never know when some program is going to try to use some obsolete service like Fax or Print to XPS or whatever. It's mostly a problem with the expectations of programs you run, not so much the Windows itself.

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Yeah, i remember your LTSB privacy release, after wim-tweak was presented.

Example of crappy homebrew:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...mated-batch-script.68791/page-10#post-1548683

20. moistbuns

moistbuns MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2015
    This is why I think Microsoft should rework Windows to be end-user modular/scalable so it's a situation of "this doesn't work, nevermind - Windows Update is installing it" not "this doesn't work, time to reinstall Windows". Microsoft probably won't ever entertain that idea because every tech-savvy consumer would just run the lightest possible SKU and let it scale up sans bloat.