How to choose a network in windows7?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sid_16, Jul 6, 2016.

1. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm confused to choose what setup is needed for my PC if my ISP is a cable modem (broadband) or high speed 3/4G network?

I had set it up as public network previously when using a 3G service but now I'm getting modem offline very often so shall I configure my network as home?

Any help/suggestion?

Thanks and regards,
    sid_16.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Emma-R

Emma-R Guest

using a internet dongle, set is as public, as recommended. if your using lan now set it as home.

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    No, you don't want to set a 3G dongle as a Home network, or you're telling Windows you trust everyone connected to that network and want to share files etc with them, which you don't

If you're getting frequent disconnects with 3G, check the coverage / signal, reinstall the dongle, contact the ISP see if there are any faults

Changing from public to home/private wouldn't prevent disconnects, it's just about sharing permissions

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i just fixed a 3 pc networking issue 1 hr ago.. they had set home not Work and homegroup sharing blocked Documents.
    i set to work location and reshared docs and all ok.

5. rms_returns

rms_returns MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2016
    Second that. There are just too many noob users out there who just don't know what to do and select a Home or Public Network at random. Its too dangerous to trust an external network which you have absolutely no idea about like USB modem connections, public hotspots and even broadband connections.