how to clean junk files in windows7!! help:(

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kittu8_in2002, Sep 28, 2009.

1. kittu8_in2002

kittu8_in2002 MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I have x86 win7 ultimate 7600 build. the prob is that my space in c: goes on decreasing. its not that i keep installing softwares. in xp i used to clean temp folders and document and settings>temp...( am not good with paths) . so how do we clean junk files in WIN7. where does it get deposited!
    is there any software via which i can clean my harddisk..and get bak my space.
    please help!!!

2. 4D696B65

4D696B65 MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    CCleaner is a good little app. I recommend the portable version.

Also look at deleting some old restore points. They can take up a lot of space.

3. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Good advice! I always forget to mention that good tidbit to people because as soon as I install I always disable system restore. :D

4. dlonra

dlonra MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    different cleaners

besides Ccleaner, Iobit Advanced System Care, Auslogics Boostspeed, Pointstone Systemcleaner I also use TuneUp Utilitities to clean old restore points, uninstallers for updates and disable Hibernate. Tune Up creates a lot of space.

5. kittu8_in2002

Sep 22, 2009
    thnx buddies:) u all are great :):D

6. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    i'll suggest windows 7 manager for win7 :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jimmy2x2x

jimmy2x2x MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Thats a lot of utils! What do they all do!

How do you remove the uninstallers for updates?

8. dlonra

dlonra MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    unfortunately Windows needs a lot of cleaners

In order to keep Windows at maximum speed you really need more than 1 cleaner. Not only for temp files but also for old registry files. Besides those mentioned I use RegistryGenius, RegCure and RegistryMechanic. Really good registry cleaners and they all find different files. Never had any problems after cleaning.

You can clean remove the uninstallers for updates with TuneUp under "free up disk space/unnecessary files and backups" and disable Hibernate (if you don't use it) under "free up disk space/windows functions".

After cleaning I use Vopt and Perfect Disk as defrag tools. Maintainance is a "must do" in Windows to avoid a slow system.

9. SixKillerLV

SixKillerLV MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    Also go to "WINDOWS > SoftwareDistribution > Download" folder and delete all files in it. This folder contain old update files downloaded from MS download center.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. dlonra

dlonra MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    last one (I think)

If you use MS Office delete the file under MSOCache. It's not needed after install. You have to unhide the map first.

11. kittu8_in2002

Sep 22, 2009
    you guys are great :) cheers ! i got my space back.... hey any idea if win7 home premium is out ...

12. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    A little guide

You may use the Windows built-in cleaner too!
    Go to start > accessories > system tools > disk cleaner; right click it and run as administrator.
    Click "OK" and wait the calculations be completed.

You will see a screen with two tabs, choose the "more options" tab and at "system restore and shadow copies" click the button "clean". This will clean all the restore points less the last one.

Return to the "disk cleaner" tab and click "OK", this will delete all the temp files.

After that is recommended you clean your registry, you may use any sugested tool (I like tuneup utilities). Defragment your files (perfectdisk is a must) and your maintenance is done. Do that regularly and your system will work smoothly.

I hope it is helpful.:D

13. racky29

racky29 MDL Senior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    im another one to recommend ccleaner (aka. crap cleaner), its free too
    it now has the option to look at the restore points you have and delete the ones you dont want
    and also i found ccleaner to be the safest cleaner around, it's not to harsh and dont delete anything that is important

some cleaners out there can mess up your system
    so ccleaner is my thumbs up, and the same company makes defraggler to defag your drive, and can even pick out single files to defrag.

14. jimmy2x2x

jimmy2x2x MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Ive got to look into this more, I was just using ccleaner

Im amazed that you use so many utils to keep on top of things, its just incredible to me!

15. ShareAll

ShareAll MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    i can also STRONGLY recomend "Your Uninstaller Pro 2008" it has an easy "1-Click Cleaning" and it find a LOT of junk to delete. Very nice 1...

16. dlonra

dlonra MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Did you also remove some Windows parts like Games and TabletPc ?

17. Joe45

Joe45 MDL Junior Member

May 17, 2009
    OMG THIS ALSO HAPPENS TO ME!! i used a lot of software but it still happens ..