How to clean up driverstore folder.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by naseap, Oct 2, 2014.

1. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Trying to figure out why I have 62gigs used on my drive when I only have office and acrobat installed. I noticed the windows/system32/driverstore/filerepository folder has 19gigs compared to my win 8.1 install has 3gigs. I already tried component cleanup and reset base.

2. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    If you have manually installed nvidia or realtek audio drivers (with several inf files) for every inf file windows creates a subfolder with all files within.
    e.g. if you have 40 inf files in a generalised 100mb driver... it's about 4gb and you only usw 1 inf file.
    check which driver (inf) is really needed/in use uninstall the rest with dism or pnputil (-f -d oemX.inf)

3. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Yep, there are 48 entries for the NVidia drivers that are 322MB each. Good call on that one, thanks. Now I have to figure out which ones to remove.

4. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Easiest (not at least the best)
    dism /online /get-drivers /format:table > C:\Drivers.txt

look for all OEMXX.inf files from Nvidia (may look for "Display") category.
    uninstall all with pnputil or dism.

than if all removed: select in device manager the standard vga driver (nvidia is uninstalled) and select the folder where your nvidia driver lies. device manager look through all inf files and will onl y install the matching one.. so 322mb instead of 15gb.

5. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    In the main folder I had over 40 inf folders that were dated 10/1 with the same time, that is when I installed the OS. Today I installed the Nvidia beta drivers which put in an inf folder with a 10/2 date. I deleted all the inf 322MB folders dated 10/1. Not sure if that was the way to do it but the system is up and running. If it does not work properly I will just nuke it and install again. What would cause all those files in the first place.

6. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    deleting the folders is aboslutly not the correct way but yes it will work. - but windows still has this drivers in its "database". But with a new driver you wont have any problems.
    As is said in the first place you put the unpacked driver folder into install to let windows integrate them (unattend or whatver) and this unpacked driver contains 47 not needed inf files. windows than gathers for every inf all needed files (which are nearly always the same). - I guess your installation also took over an hour.

7. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I did the install straight form a usb and didn't do an unattend install. Those inf files were added while doing a regular install. It took the normal time of approximately 10 minutes to install the OS. Maybe this is a bug. I am going to nuke this install and see if this happens again. I wonder if anyone is having this problem.

8. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    You don't have to nuke it. just delete all 47 not needed inf files from the nvidia driver.
    what you mean by regular installation? there is none really regular.

9. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    use whereisit great app its like treeview

10. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Yeah I deleted all the unnecessary inf files and the folder is now down to 683MB from the 18G. I did not create an unattend install, that is what I meant about "regular". I wonder how all those files got in there in the first place. Anyhow thanks for all the help.

11. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Did you do: dism /add-driver ?

12. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    possibly from windows update. also when you install anew driver, windows keeps the old when incase you want to return to it.

13. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    No. The driver was added during windows update after I did the initial install of the TP enterprise.