How to Connect Two Windows Computers On LAN Using cable for internet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Trustdee, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Trustdee

Trustdee MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Hello MDL : I need help, I have a desktop windows 7 connected to internet without wifi : Is it possible to give a laptop internet access using LAN cable .. ? :pizza:

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Internet Connection Sharing

3. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    As cocachris89 has said, you need to share your Internet connection, so go to control panel > Network > Change Adapter Settings
    Right click on your network card and go to properties, left click on sharing, here's a picture to show you.

Attached Files:

• ICS.png
      ICS.png
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Trustdee

Trustdee MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    ok, what of cable connection.... straight cable or crossover cable connection .... which do i use ?

5. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    That I wouldn't be sure about, but you may have better luck by getting a network router.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. InHawks

InHawks MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2013
    I think to do Internet connection sharing, he needs to have two LAN cards (Ethernet NIC) in his desktop. Then he can use ICS and connect laptop to the second card. For connecting he might need a cross over cable.

But the easiest method is to get a 4 port or 8 port switch.

7. Trustdee

Trustdee MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    I have straight cable with me handy : will try yours out ::

8. willyj

willyj MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    anyway you need a cable to connect to the second device, if not using a router. Otherwise I don't understand how to transmit the signal from the initial one to remote one. You need 2 adapters installed into your motherboard. Or a single one but with two ports to connect 2 cables to different computers.

9. simon726

simon726 MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2013
    +1

Ditto. I would personally (suggest) on getting a wireless router. If you wanted to disable the wireless feature on your router, you can go into your admin settings. This could vary depending on which manufacturer of router you're planning to get (i.e. Linksys, Belkin, Netgear, D-Link, etc.).

10. harryluke

harryluke MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2013
    Connecting two PCs using a crossover Ethernet cable is the safest and easiest way of transferring files, pictures, videos and music. It is fail proof and secure. Data transfer between two PCs through a crossover Ethernet cable creates a network for sharing data and using two electronic resources, thus avoiding having a separate networking facility for each computer. The two PCs must have network cards preinstalled and the LAN RJ45 Ethernet cable plug-in between them. Change both computer names and in the network connection properties, select the internet protocol properties and add values to the IP address and Subnet Mask. Then save the changes. Later, when all internet connections are made, restart the PCs and view the LAN of the two computers in the network connections.

11. Trustdee

Trustdee MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Done what i want : Now to clear things up, previously i ask on how to give a laptop connection using a cable, the desktop is already connected to internet ... not file sharing or any other thing .. but internet connection .........thanks for giving me all the other ideas anyway...... MrMagic and steven4554 solve the question for me,: i had to connect the desktop to internet First and going to control panel > Network > Change Adapter Settings
    Right click on your network card and go to properties, left click on sharing on the desktop internet card, putting the straight cable connection on both the two systems and setting up the laptop to automatically ask for ip :: and it worked :......:
    Reason for making it simple is because of others that might be searching for similar problem : thanks to all : :worthy:

12. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Do yourself a favor and buy a wireless router. Not only will that solve your problem, but it will also provide for future expansion.