How to create ISO from Multi-Session CD/DVD?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Deleted member 773088, Dec 21, 2017.

Hi,
    I am looking for any app or ways to create an ISO from CD/DVD in such a way that the ISO shall include all sessions from a multi-session CD/DVD.

I have tried a few trialware and freeware apps like Power ISO, BurnAware Free, DVD-to-ISO Free but all of them extract only the first session.

The resulting ISO is of full disk size but it does not hold the subsequent sessions, only the first session.

It's bit tedious to copy all files from CD/DVD elsewhere and put it again in an ISO file, so I am looking way any app or ways to do it.

Any inputs would be great to know. Thanks.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I did google search for, recover sessions written to multisession cd/dvd various software came up.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #3 kaljukass, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    There is no way to understand what you exactly want to do.
    It seems to me that you have problems with the meanings.Meanings of CD, DVD, .ISO (.iso is file format, but CD, DVD are things), multisession CD or DVD, finalized CD or DVD etc. Everything seems to be messed.
    Maybe you can explain to such a fool like me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. I am sorry if my post somehow did not clarify it properly.

Over years, I have burnt many CD-R/DVD-Rs using Optical media burning software like Nero or Burn Aware.

What I wish to do now is create a back up of all those media in .ISO format and save it on my HDD. An ISO file for each CD/DVD.

The process in principle is very straight forward. Use any suitable app like Burn Aware Free, Power ISO, Magic ISO and so on insert your DVD in the drive, select and copy to .ISO from within these apps and save the .ISO on say HDD.

The problem I find is with those specific DVDs that are Multi Session and where I have written more than one session. All these apps that I mentioned before seem to extract only the first session from the DVD when an ISO file is generated from it.
    e.g. if session 1 created Folder1 on DVD-R and session 2 added Folder2, the .ISO only holds Folder1 and not Folder1 & Folder2 together.

I have to manually edit .ISO in Power ISO software and then add Folder2 to make it a complete copy of the DVD.

What I am looking for is an app that can extract all sessions in one go into a single .ISO file.
    So the question is specific to looking for a software that can extract all sessions from a multi session DVD-R into a single .ISO file

Hope this clarifies it further. Thanks.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #5 Carlos Detweiller, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    If you truly mean ISO (as in the ISO format), that's impossible. Multi-Session discs are multi-track disks (each session has at least one track). The ISO format simply does not support multiple tracks (it doesn't have any concept of "tracks" and "sessions" at all). ISO follows the original CD-ROM definition, where only one session per disc existed.

For backing up multi-track discs, you need to use different image formats: CUE+BIN or MDS+MDF, for example.

5. Oh! No wonder, all apps that I tried extract only the first session. Thanks for the clarification.