How to deal with temporary file in Window 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RobMiles, Feb 17, 2012.

1. RobMiles

RobMiles MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2012
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm naive user for windows 7 operating system and I don't have idea about how to deal with temporary file in windows 7?. So please give me some idea about how to delete temp, cookie file, browsing history file etc.

Please reply as soon as possible.:worthy:

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Download Ccleaner, install it and run it.

3. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    In Internet Explorer just use this key combination: Ctrl+Shift+Del
    This should bring up a window with options on what you would like to delete, like browsing history, temp files and cookies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RajeshSingh

RajeshSingh MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    Hi RobMiles,
    There are many options through which you could delete temporary file such as using inbuilt function of windows, using third party tool, using browser functionality. To use windows inbuilt function first of all press 'Window Key + R' and type temp in visible box and click on 'OK' button. After that you will see the all temporary file list, here you can delete file by selecting file and then 'ctrl+shift+delete'.
    You can also use third party tool too such as MindStick Cleaner, CCleaner etc. I had used MindStick Cleaner, it is free charge tool and having more functionality so you can use it efficiently.

I don't have remember the exact download path of this software so you can search it on google by MindStick Cleaner keyword.
    Please marked as answer if this post helped you.
    :blowup:

6. Robin Hood

Robin Hood MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    ........................... +1

7. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    First of all, thank you for the 'Window Key + R' tip.....

I just tried it, and, after two hours of working at this computer, downloading, using several websites and sending e-mails, that temp folder is empty except for one single item, a folder of my Avast AV software. Is that possible? I am asking because the computer does a few weird things lately.... like, the AppData Folder had vanished from the PcUser Folder, and I found the "Don't show hidden folders" box clicked in the options. Even a newbie like me would not do that by himself...

Could you please send me a simple answer if what i described is normal? #

Thank you

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    "Weird" things sometimes means virus, trojan or etc. You might want to try another malware detector such as MalwareBytes. But if after exhausting all possibilities you just can't stop the weirdness, it may be time for a disk wipe and clean installation of the OS. Or, if you have what you believe to be a clean system image, restore it.

9. sticky74

sticky74 MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    #9 sticky74, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
    @Hannibal Lecter

Try TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer: it is an antimalware tool and you can find at:

geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs).

10. mexus

mexus MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2007
    I personally like Fcleaner, but be sure to REMOVE the Desktop Icons, and Start Menu Icons check-boxes (or it will delete all your desktop and start menu icons).

On a relatively clean computer it frees 200-1000 MB, my personal record was 16 gb (on a friends computer).