How to decrypt KnownGameList.bin file?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Jan 18, 2019.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    How do I open that file? Windows 10 attaches that file to explorer.exe and it obviously detects launched .exe. I want to know which games are known to Windows 10 and what settings it applies or tries to apply to those .exe files? I think the official name for that component is Game Explorer.

I think this file is additional related to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore" Parent and Children entries. Why I think so? Because NTLite removes entries under Parent and Child when it removes Game Explorer and Xbox-related components.

2. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Why you don't install Windows Server once for all and save time for the rest of your life

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    A text editor called "TED Notepad" will show you the name of the games in that file in mostly readable form.

4. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Thanks! I was hoping Notepad++ would do that, but it did not.

How would I go about finding if those names are connected to those Parent and Child entries in the registry?

BTW, what does Windows Server have to do with any of this?

5. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    You could try RegScanner from NirSoft to look for those entries in the registry.

Thomas Dubreuil suggested to use Windows Server since it's seems like you're constantly trying to debloat things and Server is already more debloated than most versions.

Off-topic: I've tried it and he's right- it is lean. I would use it, but my favorite firewall (and AV) ESET requires a server version to run on it. Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent firewall for Windows Server (besides the default built-in)?

6. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    off-topic ON: you might have luck extracting the setup...I sucessfully installed True Image like this.
    Otherwise, I know it's not the reply you expect but like many people I was in doubt with built-in firewall until one day I saw this thread.
    WFC using whitelist method (block everything by default unless specified) is all you need, and best it's free now...
    You just need to create "allow rules" for the programs (or ips) you want to connect, which is way more simple than creating zillions of block rules...No third-party program/layer, making system "lighter" also. I Never looked back since.

On-topic : you are right, suggested windows server because it's already "debloated" or he could use it as a better starting point for his passion for butchering.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Thomas Dubreuil: thank you- all excellent suggestions. I'll give them a try.

8. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    How can Server version be more de-bloated given that even Enterprise Long Term Service Branch (that was supposedly meant to be only for military and hospital environments with need for super-stability) has all the Xbox and Game Explorer bloatware? Both LTSB 2016 and LTSC 2019 do.

9. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    What the hell does LTSB need one drive for too? Enterprise users sure as :poop: aint gonna use it or xbox n games.

10. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    That is marketing bullsh...
    I bet most hospital gear still run on W7 or XP lol

Server has no appx. No Xbox nor Xbox services, no game...while LTSC has: fact.
    Server has less services : fact

Microsoft is well aware now that many people use LTSC because of the mainstream Windows editions bloatware, that's why they included even more sh...in LTSC than LTSB.
    That was expected, and that's why I ended up making the move on my main work machine...so happy I did.
    But at the end It all depends on how and for what you use your computer ...On my laptop, I don't care having Server, LTSC, or Pro.

By the way LTSC is just the distribution channel...Windows Server 2019 (Desktop Experience) IS also LTSC.

Maybe they added phone companion in LTSB so you can plug your phone in the heartbeat monitor...

11. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    How can Server have no AppX? The Shell itself and the main Settings page are both AppX. Then there is also Cloud Experience Host AppX. Does it not have the same Start Menu as Windows 10?

12. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    I know that...and you surely understood I was meaning "besides core apps"
    I know you tried to remove those too :D

Server is exactly like LTSC/Windows 10, just with less trash

13. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I suppose it comes with DirectX 12? Does it use FullScreen Optimization?

14. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Windows Server 2019 editions are larger in size than Enterprise LTSB-016\LTSC-2019 by whooping 400-500MB! I bet they have some non-AppX bloatware to them that can't be removed. That includes the Essentials-only edition too...