How to delete the default licence key in the bios ?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by DLDLDLDL, Nov 8, 2018.

1. DLDLDLDL

DLDLDLDL MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    Hello,

I have a simple question but I can't find the answer on the Internet because everytime it's the oppisite question (how to add key?). But my question is how can I DELETE and FULL WIPE the OEM licence in my laptop bios.

I want to have a full free of licencing PC like I have when I buy a PC without any OS and licence in it. You know when you build a PC or a laptop without OS, the only difference is that OEM key in the bios, so how can I wipe all that for having a virgin PC who ask me my licence when I reinstall it, and ask me Home or Pro, etc...

One more thing, please don't answer to a question that I didn't ask like I see on every post. I don't ask how to do for Windows give me the choice between editions at the first install, and I have to pu a file in the bootable USB in the sources folder etc... I know but it's not my question.

How to DELETE the key in my bios? And when I use softwres who show the OEM key I want to (like on my tower PC with no OEM key) it shows me "No OEM licence found".

In simpler words: I want when I install Windows it think "Hey there is no licence key in that PC" because there is no key lol.

In even simpler words: I want convert my OEM laptop in a laptop sold WITHOUT OS.

I don't want to use another key, I know I can do it, but even if I do it, the OEM key is still here and can be shown with tools, I ant to DELETE it.

Thank you very much

2. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DLDLDLDL

DLDLDLDL MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    I know this answer will come but this is not my question :(

I don't care about having the choice of the edition, I want to delete the key from the bios.

I'm not against any other cool tricks about Windows, thank you a lot for that and this very useful forum, but it's not my question.

Is it possible to reset the place where the key is? If yes, how? If not, so when the manufacturer sells a laptop without OS, how they do for DON'T put a key in it? I want to do the same.

4. Mr Been

Mr Been MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2008
    ...and UPDating the BIOS to a newer version, isn't an alternative?

5. DLDLDLDL

DLDLDLDL MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    #5 DLDLDLDL, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    (OP)
    Good question... It would be cool but not so cool. Cool for me, but I don't think it works because if update the BIOS delete the licence it would be a big issue for a lot of users.

Is there a way to delete the OEM key? Again, I don't speak about having the edition choice or bypass it. But fully delete it, like if I bought a PC without OS.

Do we know if flashing the bios delete all OEM key and MSDM table? I'm not so sure...

6. sagacious

sagacious MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2018
    Hi there; I haven't used but there's a RW utility that can edit bios oem data I've just found when I googled the internet; you can check this (Read & Write Everything) out. I'm new here; maybe there're some guides on here, MDL. Have a good day.

7. DLDLDLDL

DLDLDLDL MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    #7 DLDLDLDL, Nov 8, 2018
    (OP)
    Oh thanks for this software! I will wait someone who know it and can confirm it can edit (and delete) licence key in the BIOS (MSDM table).

And even if it doesn't work, thank you for the help and searching :)

EDIT: So I can confirm, with this soft when I go in "MSDM" it shows me the licence key in BIOS... Now I see it, cool... but how to remove it? ...

Don't forget, I don't want to choose Windows edition, or edit the key for a new one (I know it's associated with the hardware signature)... I want to DELETE it. I just want NO KEY in my BIOS/UEFI/Whatever... That's all.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Needs to replace the existing BIOS with a version without MSDM table.

Afaik deleting the key won't work since it would leave a broken MSDM table (checksum mismatch) that most likely will cause activation issues.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    There are several ways how OEMs license their BIOS.
    From special UEFI modules (known GUID) to NVRAM / DMI tools or any other areas which survive a BIOS update.

You never will get rid of it flashing an official BIOS (update) since licenses are made to survive any BIOS update.

You'd need a BIOS mod which is made the other way around. To remove the MSDM table.
    To achieve that one has to check how it's realized in your particular BIOS...

Best would be to give it an undefined name (from ACPI specifications like MSDX) and correct the checksum of the table afterwards to keep the ACPI intact.

Serg008 could help you with this for sure.:) An anti-mod so to say....

11. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    If you found an answer about how to add it in the first place, possibly you could reverse the process and use whatever tool they used to add it, to remove it instead.

12. DLDLDLDL

DLDLDLDL MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    I want to have a PC in the same state it was just BEFORE the key was injected by manufacturer. No mod, just an empty bios with no licence. Like you know... when I buy a motherboard on Amazon, there is no key in the motherboard/bios... I want the same.

13. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    We understood, it's you who doesn't seem to get that this isn't an easy task without invalidating the integrity of the BIOS ... that would be a brick.

@Yen's suggestion is your best option here.

Alternative USE EBAY and get a replacement board for your machine which is clean :cool2:.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #14 Yen, Nov 8, 2018
    Without that specific proprietary OEM tool which they use to license it's a hopeless task.
    Only very few of them have been leaked and they are old.

When I have modded BIOSes there were freeOS versions and OA versions, especially on laptops / notebooks.

The freeOS versions were prepared to hold a license, containing parts of it, but not fully working.
    The OA versions, though, had a complete working and own table.

Since we could not manage to 'delete / have access to' the preparation-area (first or second 'half' of a license table / empty table body) -for instance- we renamed the ACPITable name (accessible code) to something that is not specified and introduced a complete own full ACPITable.

2 ACPITables with the same name do not work.

To have the same BIOS as freeOS version and as OA licensed versions the OEMs make use of writing into protected areas which are left untouched at any official BIOS update.

To play with that one could use a SPI programmer, but it's not worth IMHO.
    You'd need a full dump. Modify it by taking care of integrity and re-write it.

15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You've got to use a uefi tool, ie:
    Code:
    Saphire: afuwin64 /oad
    MSI: OA30W592x64 /oad
    Intel: vcustw64 -OA3 -OAClear
    Gigabyte: WinOA30_64 /c
    ASUSTek: SLPBuilder64 /clearoa30
    Asrock: afuwin64 /oad
    As you can see most are using AFUWin from AMI. I think the OEM's compile their own specific version though.
    Personally I would leave the key alone & not risk bricking the motherboard...

16. DLDLDLDL

DLDLDLDL MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    What is the one for Dell? Thanks

17. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've never seen an OA3 tool for Dell. Probably too in-house...

18. DLDLDLDL

DLDLDLDL MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    #18 DLDLDLDL, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    (OP)
    OK... well... there is not real solution... but thank you anyway guys I learned some things here :)

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Dell is known to make a lot of proprietary stuff. They have mostly their own BIOS structure (modified), own compression algo, own tools, yes even own plugs / interface....
    People should know that when going to buy something from Dell....

Another brand like that is (Compaq) HP......

Others such as MSI and Asus are different. They use 'common' stuff...

Lenovo is somewhere in between. (They have whitelists for instance)

20. DLDLDLDL

DLDLDLDL MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    Yes but you know... I don't really like to have a tank with Dragons and raibow lights when I buy a lapdop lol...

And btw, what is your favorite brand for laptops?