How to delete UNDELETABLE FILES! ***TIP***

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Matrix Leader, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    I found the above steps a big saviour as I searched alot online and wasn't able to find a working guide. Even the UNDELETE program that I installed didn't work so this guide will prove handy then ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #3 burfadel, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can automate that by using the following script (copy and paste into notepad and save as a .reg file):

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    This can be modified to suit the desired task, you could even make several commands in addition to 'Take Ownership', and even have it under its own submenu in the context menu.

I would acknowledge the person that originally wrote the script, but I have absolutely no idea where I got it from now! Its been replicated literally thousands of times and is a few years old.

4. sam263

sam263 MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    You can try" Unlocker" ,free simple and effective .

5. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Unlocker doesn't do the trick! I tried that before....did you even read my posts above, or are you just trying to post anything for the heck of it?

6. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    You're most welcome :)

7. malvo26

malvo26 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2008
    Thanks a million Matrix Leader for the tip. It helped me solve a problem with outlook.pst changing from XP to Windows 7.

8. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Glad I could've been of any assistance ;)

Cheers

9. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    This has just helped me once more delete a file that was related to the Blackberry back up file that I created!

I had an old backup file that I wanted to delete and wasn't able to! Thanks to this guide it fixed the issue with a breeze.

Please make this a sticky mods :)

10. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Well...not to argue with you but I have used unlocker on even file that I could not delete even ones I mark with "Take Ownership" lol. It actually worked everytime for me. I had to reboot a couple of times but that is not big deal lol.

11. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Strange.....glad it worked for you though :D

12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    yea, I just wanted to point that out. Maybe it was fixed by a build update cause I have the latest x64 version here.

13. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    #15 blackranger, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  14. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That is a good point but I personally think unlocker is good. Being a user of a Cloud-Security(KIS 2011 & N360 4.0) the peers give it good reviews so I have to say that it is probably good lol. BTW to clear things up I run dual boot and have one security suite on one system and the other on the other lol. :p

15. nabanit

nabanit MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2010
    tell me one thing.....how can a file be Undeletable if it can be deleted!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. blackranger

Dec 28, 2009
    Undeletable --> Deletable
    Undelectable = cannot be deleted w/o software or simply 1 or 2 clicks
    Deletable = can be deleted after getting the admin power, or when software is used, for example Unlocker.

When you are deleting a file or folders but it fails, the unlocker assistant will pop up and ask for your judgement.

17. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    i also think unlocker is better than killbox...

18. blackranger

Dec 28, 2009
    Sure, but I hate un-ticking the "new Bing bar" option and the Ebay shortcut! :angry: